Coopers To Brew Great Danish Delight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would be interesting to try, as i cant stand carlsberg but see if fresher aussie ingredients make a difference.

Wasn't 62 Pils the result of courting another international mega-lager brewer? Sounds like it's paying off for them

The Fosters version was dumbed down from the real Carlsberg. However I don't hold out much hope for the Coopers version.
In the UK Carlsberg and Heineken sold the BUL rights to pommie brewers and they cranked out a disgusting mid strength lager sold under their names.

Didn't faze Carlsberg or Heineken at all. obviously they couldn't GAF as long as they get the royalty cheque. Time will tell.

This is not a good thing. Cheapens Coopers image IMO. BUL is a concept that has nothing good about it.

This is not a good thing. Cheapens Coopers image IMO. BUL is a concept that has nothing good about it.
Well I'd disagree foles, BUL has disadvantages and advantages:

Disadvantages:

You are not getting the beer as brewed in its original location with local malts, hops and water. The BUL version, whilst overseen (we hope) by the company brewers from the original location can, at best, only approximate the original. Often BUL, as seen in the UK with the likes of Heineken and Stella is just a brand name cynical exercise.

Advantages:

Even with the excellent fast international shipping lines today, beer from the original location can arrive in less than ideal condition so a local version brewed as true to the original will provide a better consumer experience.

As beer is normally 95% water, in today's environment one can raise an argument that shipping beers internationally, with a huge energy footprint, is environmental vandalism where a brand it intended to be a big seller (Heineken, Carlsberg etc) can be brewed locally.

However there is definitely a place for interesting but slower moving international brands to be exported / imported as a "hobby" item

such as the Zywiec 9.5% ABV six pack I'm working my way through now :) :) :) :)

Effects on coopers image will be negligible, first you'd have to know, then you'd have to give a sh*t. and the average Carlsberg drinker does neither.
The average coopers drinker won't give a crap either.

yes we the beer nuts will care to some extent, it may have a positive effect as i'll probably buy a 6 pack in couple months when i know its made by coopers just to see if its any good. but what percentage of coopers sales are we the knowledgeable beer nut? 2/5 of bugger all i reckon.

Well I'd disagree foles, BUL has disadvantages and advantages:

Disadvantages:

You are not getting the beer as brewed in its original location with local malts, hops and water. The BUL version, whilst overseen (we hope) by the company brewers from the original location can, at best, only approximate the original. Often BUL, as seen in the UK with the likes of Heineken and Stella is just a brand name cynical exercise.

Advantages:

Even with the excellent fast international shipping lines today, beer from the original location can arrive in less than ideal condition so a local version brewed as true to the original will provide a better consumer experience.

As beer is normally 95% water, in today's environment one can raise an argument that shipping beers internationally, with a huge energy footprint, is environmental vandalism where a brand it intended to be a big seller (Heineken, Carlsberg etc) can be brewed locally.

However there is definitely a place for interesting but slower moving international brands to be exported / imported as a "hobby" item

such as the Zywiec 9.5% ABV six pack I'm working my way through now

Agree big time that imported beers suffer. I cannot stand oxidised/stale beers and its so frustrating having to explain to non-beer people that it is meant to taste better than that. Thats why I am not a big advocate of importing beers full stop (unless its done like Sierra Nevada and Green Flash are doing it now - refrigerated). I support the "Drink local" concept and beer travel if your lucky enough to be able to do it.

BUL would be more palatable (slightly) if the beer wasn't marketed, labelled and priced as if it was imported (especially in the pub). And if the beers even slightly resembled the original.
I've had Becks in Bremen (wondeful beer). Had it here, tastes like it has POR in it.
I've had guinness in Ireland (blissful, smooth, light roast, light bodied). Had it here, muddy, rough, heavy, I cannot stand it.
Also had Stella in beglium (pleasant enough). Had it here, tastes like it has POR in it (common theme here <_< ).
Havent had Kirin in Japan, but im also getting that POR twang. hehe

Surely it is a step up from Budweiser?

Regardless, Coopers can only dream of being mentioned in the same breath of either brewery internationally. Not sure how this could hurt their reputation. A bit like Kia being worried if Ferrari approached them for parts.

Regardless, Coopers can only dream of being mentioned in the same breath of either brewery internationally. Not sure how this could hurt their reputation. A bit like Kia being worried if Ferrari approached them for parts.
More like Nissan approaching Fiat

This fairly significant as Coopers are the last surviving traditional brewery in the country. They brew some solid beers by any measure. At least they are still family owned.

Coopers like to brew traditionaly, you might get a suprise with the final product

dont forget coopers BUL sapporo and a few others iirc.

Agree big time that imported beers suffer. I cannot stand oxidised/stale beers and its so frustrating having to explain to non-beer people that it is meant to taste better than that. Thats why I am not a big advocate of importing beers full stop (unless its done like Sierra Nevada and Green Flash are doing it now - refrigerated). I support the "Drink local" concept and beer travel if your lucky enough to be able to do it.

BUL would be more palatable (slightly) if the beer wasn't marketed, labelled and priced as if it was imported (especially in the pub). And if the beers even slightly resembled the original.
I've had Becks in Bremen (wondeful beer). Had it here, tastes like it has POR in it.
I've had guinness in Ireland (blissful, smooth, light roast, light bodied). Had it here, muddy, rough, heavy, I cannot stand it.
Also had Stella in beglium (pleasant enough). Had it here, tastes like it has POR in it (common theme here <_< ).
Havent had Kirin in Japan, but im also getting that POR twang. hehe

I read somewhere that the "POR tang" in australian beers is actually related to the pale malt used. I'd suggest that most BUL is using isohops. Oddly enough people never talk about the nasty "POR tang" in coopers, one of the few beers where the POR is actually there and noticeable.

BUL can be done well, and it can be done badly. It's done to make money, which often results in cutting corners. It is also a marketing game so that someone can put a well known label on a beer that is similar to the beer the label comes from. It's not an agreement that encourages the company to strive for perfection, merely acceptance so both companies can make money off the label.

Latest posts

Back