Cooper's tins of goop special Big W

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan murphys dropped their regular prices a few weeks ago too.
OS was 12.50, but now 11
int series was 14.50 but now 12.50
550g ldme was 6.29, now 5.50, dex was 3.39, now $3

It's been at those reduced prices for at least 2 weeks.

Makes sense Big W and Dan Murphy's would have similar pricing I guess, related companies.
It's good though, more likely to be in Big W on the off chance and just pick it up.

I haven't actually used any coopers tins as a base yet, but I'm guessing it's six and two threes using them (+ extra fermentables) vs. Using DME only. Maybe save some money on the hop additions?

I don't know, I got into this and wanted to stay away from the tins and build my own malt bill for the beers, I guess until I actually use one within a brew I won't know if I would have avoided using them for any good reason other than being a bit snobbish.

The tins of of goop are basically just liquid malt with a set IBU right? So it should make sense to use them as a base if the price is right and saves the use of FWH for bitterness?

I can get a kilo of DME for like $8.50, so $11 for 1.7kg liquid, which would be about 1.5kg dry? works out pretty good with free IBUs.

Only mentioned it because I think the plan is to shift it all from WW/BW to dans in the end.
My local BW is a graveyard, just has some 1-2 Y/o dented tins, and they're getting rid of a lot of lines as they run out of stock.
WW stopped selling coopers dark ale, real ale and stout a year or two ago, and dextrose.

A few weeks ago I went to my local BW to get a bag of brigalow dex as they used to have it, gone. Only coopers dex for $5 when it was 3.30 at dans. Should have gone to dans and bought some cheap scotch at the same time...
Not every dans is good though. Here in Perth my two closest stores have nothing but the aust pale ale and the $20 IPA, and BE1, BE2. I have to go to the Perth Hyde Park store for dex, LDME and kits (Only the hyde park store has draught, dark ale, stout and english bitter, dex, LDME, late edit: or BE3 if that floats your boat)

The coopers kits I use as a base are draught (for pale ales and bitters) and dark ale (for dark ales, porters using ldme and choc grain, stouts using ddme and choc and roast barley grain). I've used aust pale ale as a base for wheat beers before too.
I have to do this because my closest HBS are in industrial estates so a lot of busing and walking to get to them. I fill my bag with grains, yeasts, DDME and hops to max capacity, and grab the goop on another day from a closer supplier like dans.

E: I use the kits for free IBUs, no need for a 60-40 min boil, save money on hops, quicker brew days. I have done a few extract non iso hopped brews in the past, but not worth the extra cost or time for me. Would like to do AG, but space and time was the killer in the past, now budget is the killer though.
2E: if you search around you can find what's in the coopers tins and design your own specialty grain additions to suit a recipe eg http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92094&sid=308b891917bb9f47ead21dfaaa511f5b#p92094
(or follow any recipe on coopers own site or forums)
Someone else run this guy through with Ians kit spreadsheet calc too pls

That sucks that they've made it difficult for you to acquire stuff.

Sounds very different to my local Big W, I should take a photo, they've got half and aisle side filled with coopers and another brand tins, fermentor kits, bottles etc. Unless they just have more stock and are trying to get rid of it aswell.

Big W is a bit loser than Dan Murphy's, but my LHBS is just as far and 5 mins from work too.

I think my fiancee would appreciate quicker brew days, and no 60min boils; she doesn't like the smell, last time she was having a nap in the bedroom and came out grumpy as she woke up because the smell 'invaded' her dream and woke her up!

I never tried to download the spreadsheet as I'm always on my phone browser on this website and wasn't sure if my phone would open an XML file, turns out it does but it's a pain in the arse to use with the spreadsheet, tap loads of times to be able to type etc. Spreadsheet makes sense at first glance.

I use an APP to mess with recipes, so I could always add the kit info from the spreadsheet into that, as it has generic malts/grains but not brand kits. It has customisable options for potential, colour, AA% for hops etc. And it is more user friendly on my phone, for me anyways. I use my PC and laptop for design work so only really use them at such times, might pop it on my laptop and see if I like it more though.

Back