Coopers Take Over

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
evnin, all just saw on the news that fosters want coopers brewing in adelaide. well i was going to let rip,then i read the new posting rules(bugga) so as per the topic description i have posted i guess all i can say is p@ss off fosters! as a crow eater and a coopers drinker i am totaly against your / the proposed take over/buy up.... :angry: rant over for now!

According to the ABC news all ranting should be directed to Lion Nathan
Lion Nathan has announced it is making an off-market bid for the Adelaide-based brewer Coopers.

It is offering $260 a share for each class of Coopers shares, valuing the family-owned company at $352 million.

The chief executive of Lion Nathan, Rob Murray, says the offer represents a premium of 478 per cent based on the price of a buy-back conducted by Coopers in 2003.

Last month, Coopers mounted an action in the South Australian Supreme Court aimed at thwarting any predatory intentions by Lion Nathan.

Coopers wants a change to its constitution to block Lion Nathan from exercising a third-tier right of refusal for Coopers shares.

Currently, if a Coopers shareholder offers shares for sale and they are not taken up by another Coopers shareholder nor AMP, then Lion Nathan has the option to acquire them.

Coopers managing director Tim Cooper says the board will meet to give the offer due consideration.

"We strongly recommend our shareholders take no action until they've heard back from the board after the board gives its consideration to the offer," Dr Cooper said.

It sure would suck to see Coopers taken over. :angry:

There was a bit on the ABC TV news a few minutes ago. There is something happening in the courts tomorrow, so lets hope that Coopers win and keep that SA icon here.

The Business Editor said though like the Fosters / Southcorp takeover, money won out in the end.

Cheers
Pedro

Who is starting up a Microbrewery :)

Eerie. Was talking about that not a couple days ago.

mutterfickende scheisse. cazzo.
well coopers have already done distribution deals with the devil (anheuser-busch) a couple of years ago so i guess we shouldve seen this coming.

Coopers Sparkling Ale would be one of the few styles that I could say is somewhat Australian (yes I am aware of the origins but those still brewing sparkling ale on a commercial scale is coopers).

it would be a crying shame to see such a great s.a icon bought out by someone else.
can just see the pale ale bottle change shape and a gold label stuck on it.the new crown. :blink:

cheers
big d
ex pat croweater

if they close the west end site can you imagine the dollar value for the land to be re developed into inner city dense highrise apartment style living.
millions on offer

Wally, the liquor industry rumors you mentioned regarding the sell off of the Thebarton site have been around since 1993 when Lion Nathan had settled into their new business aquisition. I was an long time SA Brewing production employee at the time and took the last of the redundancy packages offered. Since then a large slab of the site has been sold and developed along the southern boundary, formerly the employee capr park for the 700 odd previous employees and the old Adelaide Botltle Company yard. As for the latest litigation regarding first right of share purchase before the courts - you need think back to the owner of the old 'pick axe' brand bottle and who actually owned the Adelaide bottle company - that was part of the SA Brerwing site. I believe there were 3 owners, The SA Bottle Company, Coopers Brewery, and SA Brewing(now Lion Nathan). From memory, when the Adelaide Bottle Company was wound up, it involved a complicated allotment of ownership shares with sticky strings attached for all 3 parties. Watch the coming court ruling, it should be very interesting.

As for a take over of Coopers - you have to remember that its a private company and the shares are not listed for trading on any exchange, or governed by hostile ASX aquisition rules, so there's not a lot the predator can do other than make an offer and hope the target accepts.

Interesting times. Coopers could come out of this a private national icon and not just a perocial SA icon.

I don't know anything about Adelaide Real Estate but I have to hate the notion of the loss of a brewing icon for the sake of a few extra bucks on a multinational's bottom line.

Heaps of classic businesses are slowly leaving the city area around Adelaide and moving out to the outer burbs, just like Coopers did.
Have a look at the bloody awefull Kent Town Brewery redevelopment. Looks as "Heritage" as a HipHop artist.

Surely whoever bought out coopers wouldn't change the sparkling ale. That was the first beer i had that i truly liked, it was the one that got me interested in beer (for it's taste) :D After coopers all those CUB beers tasted like p*ss :angry:

I reckon Coopers will sell out.
Maybe not this time, but $oon!

Will miss the beer, but will be happy to replicate the Mash Paddle winner as a better substitute.

Personally, I reckon the value provided for Coopers is a significant under-valuation.

Surely the company posesses massive goodwill, worth multi-millions.

I'd participate in a Coopers Sparkling purchase campaign to support the company, especially if it's at their request.

Crikey, I couldn't see the point of going to Adelaide if Coopers goes down to the megalopoly...at least not until the Gulf Brewery comes online.

Still keen for a National AHB meet&greet at the Gulf opening. Reckon we could get some publicity too!

If keen, U should go check out the Gulf Brewery thread

Seth out :p

Hi All,

Who are the Coopers shareholders anyway (as they're not a listed concern)? A previous post talked about a 2003 buy back but who were they buying back from?

I have spent many hours drinking with Glenn Cooper and the other boys and one of the things they absolutely pride themselves on is being a family owned company. They use it in their speak all the time and in their advertising. I doubt very much that they would sell out - never say never but part of what makes them the company they are is Family Owned.

I dont think we need to worry - especially as things are going very very well for them!

I think you could see the temptation. $357 million! Just depends on what the family wants, a brewery or a couple of small island nations.

It would be good if Lion Nathan bork up the contract and leave out a the non-competition clause. The family could take the millions and start up a new brewery...

dreamin'

Be sad to see them sell out. :(

Mind you I think the day will come eventually, every man has his price. <_<

Seems less of an issue these days. IMO The beer (sparkling ale) is a mere shadow of it's former self.

First tried it in 1982. Doesn't even hold a candle these days. It's becoming more and more like a fruity mainstream lager with some sediment thrown in for a bit of visual individuality. :angry:

Bring back the hand-grenade stubby! :beerbang:

Warren -

There's another side to this, that's been mentioned on our club email digest and I quote...

I cynically must ask if it is Cooper's brewing facilities that they are after. Cooper's is a major producer of malt extract. Lion Nathan own Maltexco, a major NZ producer of malt extract. Now, whilst a decent amount of malt extract gets packed into cans with some iso-hop drops for that "just like you buy" taste the majority of malt extract goes to the food industry.

Hmmmmm...this may get interesting! :ph34r:
TL

OK I'm going to be the lone dissenter. I couldn't give a fat rat's arse if Lion Nathan bought out Coopers. I don't think their beers are all that special. In the late 80's and early 90's I drank loads of Coopers at the Austral and the Exeter, but this had more to do with being a uni student trying to be different to everyone rather than a real desire for the beer. We were just rebeling against West End and Southwark drinkers.

Now I basically avoid Coopers, however recently I tried both the Pale Ale and the Stout. I thought the Pale Ale was thin, lacking malt, too sweet and under bittered. The Stout also lacked a lot. It didn't have enough roasty notes and was also thin and lacking a decent malt profile. Their so called Mild is even worse. I've also had their Vintage off tap. What a cash in this was. The bottled version is not bad, but the keg version is again a thin watery poor imitation.

If Lion Nathan take Coppers over and change the beers, so what, it's not like their anything worth saving.

Coopers = over rated.

Cheers
MAH

Latest posts

Back