Coopers Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stehowardtlr

Reaction score
What can you add to coopers stout tin?
Never used it, any good or leave alone?

Coopers stout makes an excellent base for some really good stouts but you need to search here or the net for recipes as to your taste, equipment you have etc. Milk stout is a good start.
Cheers

Great with half a kilo dried malt extract, 500- 750 dex, 250 lactose (if you want a cream stout). Use a different yeast to the one with the tin.

Normally for stout, I'd geo a uk ale yeast but I like liquid yeast. If going dry, you could do fermentis s04 but fermentis us05 would also do the trick (clean us ale yeast).

mondestrunken said:
Or why not reculture the yeast from Coopers Pale Ale?
The kit yeast in the standard coopers stout isn't too bad really and will give you a rather drinkable beer.
I do like mondestrunken's response and it will give a nicer brew. If you're prepared to spend the extra 4 bucks or so, the Thomas Coopers Selection Irish Stout is well worth the money IMHO, and the included yeast is very good. But, the top of the pops is the TCS Irish Stout and the coopers pale ale recultured yeast.
Just the opinion of a stout loving idiot, of course.

manticle said:
Main issue with kit yeast is the tiny amount they give you.
Would you recommend using two packets of kit yeast so as the yeast is not stressed due to low cell count?

I have a few packets laying around due to decided to go with different yeast, so have a collection now.

Better than one. Other main issue is that storage under the lid rather than in the fridge is less than optimal.

Some people like Notto with their stouts, otherwise s04. You want temp control if you go with Notto, and run it fairly cool.

Pride Of Ringwood hops could work if you plan to age it for a bit.

Works fine. Clean yeast in a beer driven by roast. I prefer 1099 or 1469 but 05 works well in stout.

Back