Coopers Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior06

Reaction score
Hey Lads,

After doing a little research i keep hearing that coopers stout is a really good kit brew (after reading ALOT of posts on here i realise that most you experienced brewers will tell me there's no such thing as a good kit brew) anyways it's all relative!
Onto my point, I was wondering if anyone has played around with this and gotten some good results, i picked up 2 cans of the stuff plus 2 kg's of enhancer so i figuire i'll do 2 brews maybe changing 1 or 2 variables and see what happens(keep in mind this would be my 3rd & 4th brew). I heard putting some chocolate in there even milo works well, i've also heard putting golden syrup. I really enjoy the commercial coopers extra stout. Any suggestions?

Cheers
Junior

Hi junior,
I hope the 06 does not indicate your age. But i suppose you have to learn how to brew. So the younger you start the better. :p
Just make sure you get your dad or uncles etc to drink it.

I dont know about milo or chocolate but the booster kit with some brown sugar, about 2-300 grams would be good.

When I made one of these i used 1 kilo of dry malt with the brown sugar made to about 20 litres and I was very happy with the result.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

johnno

Steep 50gms of Roast Barley and 100gms of choc and 200 xtal in 3ltrs of cold water overnight.

Better to stain the liquid into a larger pot and boil for 20mins with 20gms of Hops -EKG or POR.
Alternatively, u can just strain the liquid into the ferementer not as good.

If you fill out your location - might make it easier to help/advise.

Thanks for the advice, i think i'll brew one tonight or tomorrow and suss it out, lol i'm old enough to drink(in most countries).

For a stout kit id swear by coopers. Ive brewed many different variations with excellent results. Here is a couple....

Basic 23L (won 3 awards)
stout can 1.7kg
500g cane sugar
1000g dextrose
250g corn syrup
750g dried dark malt

Basic and all balls!!! 23L (won 4 awards)
stout can 1.7kg
1.5kg dried dark malt
250g corn syrup
muntons gold yeast instead of coopers kit

As for hops ive done many others with fuggles, cluster, target etc

also try using 50g chocolate malt and 100g crystal malt steeped in
boiling water for 15mins (do not boil grain) then strain into fermenter.

All in all a good base kit to work with.

Happy brewin, mudsta :beerbang:

Do it with a recultured coopers yeast from a pale ale and its even better.

yep i would agree with the coopers yeast recultured, works a treat.

I just thought if your only new to brewing, try stick to small and easy recipe steps. (less chance of faliure) Work your way up into complex recipes and techniques later.

(by the way no offence brauluver) :)

mudsta :beerbang:

mudsta said:
All in all a good base kit to work with.
Happy brewin, mudsta :beerbang:
[post="89732"][/post]​

They both sound great. I've not made a stout kit yet but am looking forward to it.
I have a couple of liquid yeasts handy, 1056 and 1332, do you think any of these would be better than using the kit yeast?

I love the Cooper stout kit. I use it as the base of a partial mash replica of Coopers BES. Great kit. Just use recultured yeast from a bottle of Coopers rather than that crap that comes under the lid of the kit.

I'd second the use of a coopers bottle yeast. And steeping some crystal and chocolate malt for a little extra flavour.

I've never used dark malt extract personally, but if I was doing a coopers stout kit at the simplest level I would use 750g DME and 250g dextrose and fill it to around 18 litres.

junior06 said:
Hey Lads,

After doing a little research i keep hearing that coopers stout is a really good kit brew (after reading ALOT of posts on here i realise that most you experienced brewers will tell me there's no such thing as a good kit brew) anyways it's all relative!

[post="89654"][/post]​

Trust me there is and I brew them frequently.

I have found that making a 2 can brew with the Coopers stout works a treat.

1 x Can Coopers Stout
1 x Can draught (I usually use a home brand draught)
1 x packet Coopers brewblend #1 or 2
Corn syrup if you like

add together as per the coopers instructions, use the coopers yeast only, fill to 20 or 23 litres and off you go.

Usually in the high 6's to low 7's for Alc content, nice and rich and smooth.

This is my preferred brew if I am trying to slip a quick kit in with the shopping ;)

M

I have a tucan Coopers Stout that I did in June,

2 x Coopers Stout Cans
Mini Mash of the following
100g Carapils
100g Melanoidin
100g CaraAroma
100g Chocolate Malt
100g Oat Flakes
( I was using up some little bits and pieces of grain left over from other brews )
500g Dark Brown Sugar
500g Dark Malt Extract
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast
Dry Hopped 20g Northern Brewer Pellets
OG 1064 FG 1012

1 week Primary, 2 weeks Secondary

It was quite bitter the first couple I tried but I had one last week and it is mellowing out to be a very nice drop

Cheers
BradT

. Just use recultured yeast from a bottle of Coopers rather than that crap that comes under the lid of the kit.

Excuse my ignorance but how do you use the yeast out of the bottom of a coopers bottle? Do you just pour it straight in? Very curious.

Another note, i'm new to AHB and brewing, but if it weren't for the site my fermenter would be collecting dust as I gave up for 6 months after a $h*t first brew, thanks for all the great advice, can't wait to be answering questions rather than asking them!

Cheers.

mudsta said:
(by the way no offence brauluver) :)

mudsta :beerbang:
[post="89740"][/post]​

None taken my good man, after all this is a public forum full of opinions and plenty of conjecture to keep us entertained. :p

I just bottled a toucan:
1 x can Cooper's stout
1 x can Cooper's dark ale
500g Cooper's Light Dry Malt (DME)
Made to 24.0L

Came out dark. :)

This recipe is in accordance with the Rheinheitsgebot of 1516 :blink:

Be back to boast in a few months if it was any good.

Hey BeerIsGood how did your toucan turn out?

I'm keen to do a choco stout but yeah hearing from you would certainly help!

BRAD T said:
I have a tucan Coopers Stout that I did in June,

2 x Coopers Stout Cans
Mini Mash of the following
100g Carapils
100g Melanoidin
100g CaraAroma
100g Chocolate Malt
100g Oat Flakes
( I was using up some little bits and pieces of grain left over from other brews )
500g Dark Brown Sugar
500g Dark Malt Extract
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast
Dry Hopped 20g Northern Brewer Pellets
OG 1064 FG 1012

1 week Primary, 2 weeks Secondary

It was quite bitter the first couple I tried but I had one last week and it is mellowing out to be a very nice drop

Cheers
BradT
[post="89791"][/post]​

that's a lot of malt/extract/sugar! how big was the batch?

Back