Coopers Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenny23

Reaction score
Hey guys
Im about to put down a coopers stout kit. Just goin to use 1kg liquid brewing sugar. Has anyone tried one of these and what are they like. Interested on any info
thanks
Ken

I have to say the Coopers stout is almost foolproof. I haven't done it with liquid sugar, but when I was younger I did it with the standard brewing sugar in a Rockhampton summer and it was probably the most drinkable thing I did at the time.

I did one last year. Bog standard Coopers Stout kit. It was okay, not brilliant, but has definitely improved with age.

I'm planning another one, but aiming to steep some grain to give it a richer flavour.

Coopers stout is pretty much bulletproof IMO.

You can add any old crap and ferment at silly temps and still get a drinkable brew.

Get some DDME or use Coopers Brew Enhancer 2, 1kg pack + 500g raw sugar or CSR treacle if you want alcoholic strength.

The kit yeast works O.K. but if you want refinement use Nottingham or S04 or any good ale yeast will give a nice result.

Got to be good to make something undrinkable out of that lot.

I did one a while ago. Stout Kit, #2 Brew Enhancer, Safale. Tasting notes said it was drinkable after 6 weeks but very nice after 6 months.

As it aged for quite a while it also over carbonated. Maybe go 2/3 to 1/2 of what you'd normally use (if you think you'll be able to let it age).

Get a tin of dark ale and 1/2 kg brown sugar, dump them and the stout tin in the fermenter. Ferment with S04.

Probably still my favourite kit ever.

A year ago, having been out of brewing for 20 years, I made a couple of high alcohol ginger beers then thought "'Winter's coming on, I'll do a Coopers Stout" and accidentally dumped in a 2 k bag of sugar instead of 1 kg. Believe it or not it turned out very drinkable but I had to cut it with tallies of Carlton Mid to avoid getting totally paralysed :lol:

However I owe it to Coopers stout that it re-awakened my love of brewing and only a year later I'm now an expert all grain guru effortlessly turning out any brew that takes my fancy with total professional expertise.

I wish :D

Getting there three steps forward one step back. However I agree with the comments that Coopers Stout is bulletproof. Suggested improvements, instead of the sugar which can make it a bit dry, try a kilo of Coopers Brew Improver 2, or a kilo of Light Dried Malt Extract and it will turn out a wee bit more like bottled Guinness or Sheaf Stout. If you end up liking the brew you can make a dynamite version with two cans of stout, a kilo of light dried malt extract and 750g of sugar or dextrose that turns out a headbanging 9% alcohol. The kit yeast will handle up to 9.5 %. :beerbang:

For sipping, not quaffing. Enjoy responsibly.

Get a tin of dark ale and 1/2 kg brown sugar, dump them and the stout tin in the fermenter. Ferment with S04.

Probably still my favourite kit ever.

+1 ++ one of the best toucans ever but do not drinks pints next day you will really suffer.

+1 ++ one of the best toucans ever but do not drinks pints next day you will really suffer.

Mind you - the last batch of that I made only lasted about 3 weeks after bottling.

Good beer is a two-edged sword :icon_drunk:

Getting there three steps forward one step back. However I agree with the comments that Coopers Stout is bulletproof. Suggested improvements, instead of the sugar which can make it a bit dry, try a kilo of Coopers Brew Improver 2, or a kilo of Light Dried Malt Extract and it will turn out a wee bit more like bottled Guinness or Sheaf Stout. If you end up liking the brew you can make a dynamite version with two cans of stout, a kilo of light dried malt extract and 750g of sugar or dextrose that turns out a headbanging 9% alcohol. The kit yeast will handle up to 9.5 %. :beerbang:

For sipping, not quaffing. Enjoy responsibly.

Aye, last one I did was with 1kg Brew Enhancer #2 and 300g Dextrose and filled the carboy to 21 litres and just that got it to 6.5%ABV with the kit yeast (cough cough). Three weeks in it tastes young but fantastic.

I'd be interested to see if there was a recipe (that didn't involve faeces) that could actually kill this beast. :lol:

Aye, last one I did was with 1kg Brew Enhancer #2 and 300g Dextrose and filled the carboy to 21 litres and just that got it to 6.5%ABV with the kit yeast (cough cough). Three weeks in it tastes young but fantastic.

I'd be interested to see if there was a recipe (that didn't involve faeces) that could actually kill this beast. :lol:

From the point of view of producing alcohol there's nothing wrong with the kit yeast at all. Coopers and many of the other kit companies, for their bog standard kit yeast, actually use an Australian active dried ale yeast, Mauri Ale 514 that does a good sledgehammer job and ferments up to 9.5 % ABV. As an experiment I have just used it on an all grain Aussie Old, fermented cool and only ten minutes ago I stirred some finings in (bottling over the weekend), had a taste and there's not one little thing wrong with the beer :icon_cheers:

+1 on the Toucan.

Even my bubbles pull a Guinness act in the glass ;)

Being an Ag brewer for over 4 yrs..

I still like some kit beers

Coopers Stout...it just works

Coopers Pale Ale ...Done with the brew booster and temp kept in control.........you have Coopers Pale Ale :chug:

Coopers Nut Brown Ale......sadly they have dropped it......was a very nice nut ale for a kit :icon_cheers:

I'd just like to add my vote for good kit, hard to stuff up. Before I knew anything about brewing (and I won't claim to know a lot now) this one came out pretty much bang on every time I made one. Was popular with other, non homebrew drinkers too which is often telling: unless they think Millers premium draft is actually premium.

Or draft.

the stout is in the fementer sitting at 22 degrees hopefully get it to about 20

In my experience the Coopers stout tends to want to climb out or the fermenter, keep an eye on it if it sits above 20, I would do everything I can to get it down to 18 just to save the clean up, even then there's no garentee.

Which hops would you use (if at all) for this recipe:

2x Coopers stout tins
Coopers BE2
500g Dark brown sugar
2x kit yeast.

I currently have in stock Styrian Goldings, Tettnanger, Perle and Halletau.

The stout is in the fermenter an was bubbling away vigerously after about 5 hours i think. its at 22 degrees which hopefully sld be ok

Which hops would you use (if at all) for this recipe:

2x Coopers stout tins
Coopers BE2
500g Dark brown sugar
2x kit yeast.

I currently have in stock Styrian Goldings, Tettnanger, Perle and Halletau.

I'm not a hop expert by any means

To my mind I'd associate things like Fuggles or EKG. However the craftbrewer website suggests perle is suitable for stouts.

Latest posts

Back