Coopers Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_010

Curry Master
Reaction score
I have a can of coopers stout that my wife bought with the groceries

What can I do with it to make an ok roasty stout to around 15L (I'm considering using it for cooking, I have a recipe for a guiness and cheese pie that is to die for :icon_drool2: )

I normally consider the coopers IBU levels to be overstated, but the stout is one that I actually think is as bitter as they say. I did one some time ago, and unfortunately can't find the recipe, that turned out really good for a kit. From memory, it was about 20L, with 1 kg ldm and about 400g of lactose (I wanted a sweetish stout...it wasn't sweet, but it wasn't OTT on the roast or bitterness either.)

I think that if you go with 750g ldm in the 15L, that will give you a fairly good result with an OG of ~ 1053 ish, and around 45ish IBU. IMO it's one that might need a bit of time in the bottle to mellow if you want to drink it straight (unless you're a fan of a big roasty stout), but for cooking, or for using for B&T, it's pretty good even when young.

The coopers stout is actually the only kit that I would even consider doing. (being the AG snob that I am. :lol: )

I've tried coopers stout can - 300 grm crystal malt steeped for 60 min @ 65c ,1kg ldme, 500grm dme, 300 ml golden syrup, english ale yeast, 21ltrs came out a good drinking stout but dont know if I'd waste it for cooking ;)
Russ

The best Coopers stout I've done was to a tad more than 15 litres (24ltrs), was a bit harsh to start with but turned out bloody nice after 6 months in the bottle. Twas,

Coopers Stout tin
2kg LDME
50g Black Malt
100g Carafa Spec 2
150g Caramalt
25g Fuggles @ 20 mins
10g Chinook @ 10 mins

I would have normally used Safale S-04 but because I just sorta threw this togeather I only had either kit yeast or a wiezen yeast. So I threw in the kit yeast. I have used this brew for onions on the barbie but thats about as far as I've gone with it considering cooking. I've got a batch sitting here just waiting for next winter. I'm not a big cheese fan so I'm afraid you'll have to make the judgement on wether it's good or bad for a stout/cheese pie. None the less though, It's worth a try even if you can't use it for the pie, brew it now and come winter..........yeah baby :super:

This has been a quick and easy brew for me in the past using the Coopers stout kit;

- 500gm CSR brown sugar
- Cooper's BE1 or BE2
- Half bottle each of cheapest generic vanilla and coffee extracts available (in the same aisle you will find the brown sugar).

Made up to ~18l, bottled and forgotten about for any period of time should yield either a nice, strong brew with some interesting coffee, molasses and subtle vanilla hints, OR an overly strong and bittered brew with very strong coffee and dark grain flavours.

It'll be dark as sin and as thick as the offspring of kin. After three of four tall ones, I'm sure you'll be somewhat philosophical on the subtleties of the palate either way.

Latest posts

Back