Coopers Starter - From Celebration Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artimus

Reaction score
I thought I'd try a CPA clone and asked wife to grab a 6-pack of CPA from the shops to grow the yeast from. She came home with the celebration ale instead - but from inspection and a little research it looks like it uses the same yeast strain. So I went ahead and added the dregs of 3 bottles to about 600ml of wort (~1.030) in a sterilised 1.25ml bottle. After about 48hrs it is producing a CO2 and needs releasing (loosen the cap) regularly and 4 days on I tested the gravity at ~1.015 so its growing merrily but there has been no layer on top of the wort at all? It's a top fermenting yeast by all reports, and tasting the starter seemed quite coopers-esque (not spoiled). I'm not sure what's wrong or if anything is at all, so I will throw it to the wider/wiser group. And the million dollar question -

Do I pitch it?

If it smells good and tastes good, id be happy to be using it. I've had a few starters that haven't shown huge signs of krausen before but have been fine for pitching.

Congrats on the first post btw

If it smells good and tastes good, id be happy to be using it. I've had a few starters that haven't shown huge signs of krausen before but have been fine for pitching.

Congrats on the first post btw

+1 smell and taste are the gold standard (although some yeasts do smell/taste a bit funky in a starter). I always taste my starters before pitching, and have a few packs of US05 (or similar) on hand just in case.

Back