Coopers Sparkling Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyM

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Girls :beer:
Where to start? Well im new to brewing and had a couple of bad brews. Not sure why they went bad btw. My question is im wanting to do a sparkling ale Coopers premium selection and the can says i need 1.5 kg tin of light malt extract PLUS 500g coopers light dry malt PLUS 300 g dextrose the guy at the local brew shop told me i dont need all that and to just go with the tin of malt! Does that sound right to everyone else? The guy said it would be very high in alcohol content if i used teh extra malt and dextrose. Im not wanting to brew anything too hard but ive got the can of sparkling and want to give it a try but i want it to turn out real good so any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers Scotty :party:

Go with what the can recommends, it's what Coopers recommend for the Sparkling Ale and likely to be more reliable than the advice of your homebrew store guy.

Agree with Kai, and I have brewed this tin earlier in the year following the tins recommendations (I also added some hops, which is not necessary IMHO) and it turned out fine. If you only used the tin in a 20-23 litre volume brew it would be a watery weak beer. Maybe that's what your HBS owner likes.

I believe the slight fruity estery notes of Coopers Sparkling Ale develop as a result of the extra alcohol - hence the need for more fermentables.

It won't be that much more alcoholic, around 5.5-6.5%, I think.

There is a thread about this kit here http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=5309

I currently have mine in the keg and it's drinking nicely.
It was close to the 5.8% of the original Coopers kit. The kit is designed to replicate this beer, so add everything the can recommends. Tastes great, although mine was brewed with yeast recultured from a Coopers long neck rather than the kit yeast. Very happy with it.

Hi all,
Mine came out at about 7%, and I added some extra POR, which was a bad idea,

The beer is quite sweet, but doesnt have the right flavour profile, but it was my first brew, and is drinkable.

But defeinitly dont take that HBS guys advice.

Case

Scotty
Definately put the extras in. Apparently its been designed to be brewed with what it says on the can. I did an experiment a while back to see what it would be like without. The only addition I had was a Cascade hop t/bag in primary. It was a very watery (but not tasteless) crystal clear brew. I guess it would be good on a stinking hot summers day when you are that thirsty it doesnt touch the sides when quaffing!
Cheers
Steve

Hi all

First off i want to thank you all for your input. All noted and ill be following the label on the tin sounds straight forward. Ive read the other thread and have another question what should i add when bottling carb drops or dextrose or something else maybe and how much ill be doing 30 stubbies and what ever left in long necks. Ill be starting the brew tonite so fingers crossed thanks again.

Cheers Scotty :beerbang:

Just don't expect it to be like the commercial product.
Its darker,sweeter and much heavier in the mouth.
The blurb on the can suggests its more like the original style from days of yore.

still tasty beer though(for a coopers kit).

Definately follow the cans instuctions ScottyM.

I have all my ingredients here and about to start on myself. I should of waited untill yours was done to see what it tastes like first ;) Oh well, we can compare our sparkling ales in a couple of months.

Latest posts

Back