Coopers Sparkling Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elollerenshaw

Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of yeast is used in Cooper's Heritage Sparkling Ale?

Reason is I like the taste and it clings together well at the bottom of the bottle - i.e. you can pour the whole bottle without disturbing the yeast.

I have noticed there are 2 different colours of yeast particle, which I assume means 2 different types of yeast.
Is it a common practice in the home brew community to mix yeast?

coopers is a strange thing. When you tip the "yeast out" it seems to be brown not white like the rest of the yeasts. Now this could just be trub or malt extract settling or something. When you culture the yeast it will come up white so to me its a mix of yeast and something else.

Not sure if the sparkling is the same as the heritage, I doubt they use a mix of yeast they have there own yeast and its got its own distinct character and it is very pronounced. You cannot brew a true coopers clone without using coopers yeast (from the bottle). You can also make most beers taste like coopers by using this yeast. I have done none coopers clones and used the yeast and the yeast plays 80% in the flavour (if its pale beer).

Its not common practice to use 2 yeasts you can do it and people prob do and breweries prob do to but yeast packs are made to pitch into 23lt so you will waste a pack unless you have 2 brews and pitch half in half or just over pitch

I have noticed there are 2 different colours of yeast particle, which I assume means 2 different types of yeast.
Is it a common practice in the home brew community to mix yeast?
I doubt you'll see a visual difference (without a microscope) between two different yeast strains - especially if it's yeast-dregs in the bottom of the bottle.
I'd presume it's just live/dead yeast that you noticed:
Live yeast : Light-creamy-colour
Dead yeast: Darker-tan-brown-colour

I would have assumed that they use the same yeast as for most all their beers unless the 'Heritage' means something special in regard to yeast.

Yeast strains are mixed infrequently, most often a 'blend' is used when brewing some lambic-type beers. You can also buy a few specific mix-strain yeasts, but they are more difficult to produce and work with, so they are not common.

I think he's talking about the yeast that comes with the sprakling kit, not the yeast found in the bottom of the sparkling ale.

I think he's talking about the yeast that comes with the sprakling kit, not the yeast found in the bottom of the sparkling ale.
Oh, LOL, you're likely right, the "Reason is I like the taste and it clings together well at the bottom of the bottle - i.e. you can pour the whole bottle without disturbing the yeast" bit got me confused.

Some of the yeast-strains supplied in the Coopers kits are mixed strains, they even mix lager and ale yeast at times.
This thread on the Coopers forums, should provide info on which kit has what yeast: http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guil...osts&t=1181

Coopers premium kits have a mix of ale & lager yeast. These are not coopers yeasts, Unfortunatly the proper coopers yeast strain cant be dried, so they have used a secondry supplier. Dr Tim Cooper actually told me that the yeast wond dry, but they support the use of making starters from any Coopers Ale.

WLP sell coopers yeast I hear - the Yanks are into it.

Perhaps the other colour stuff in the sediment is powdered pigskins...

I'd assume that Coopers dried yeast, as with many other kit makers, is Mauribrew from Toowoomba. Their lager yeast is a very nice neutral "forgiving" yeast that I've used a few times with good results and I can imagine it going well if mixed with their ale yeast to provide a mix that would ferment from 12 to 28 degrees and still produce something approximating beer.

Edit: anyone wanting to try Mauri Lager yeast, it's the blue pack on Morgans Lager kits, and can be bought separately from some LHBS as "Morgans Lager Yeast".

So I followed Wolfy's link and read a few topics and noticed that the guys on the coopers forums mention the AHB forums quite a bit and do the cut and paste thing. So.. to quote/paraphrase an Admin there who is apprently in the know (PB2)..

These are the yeasts that come with each type of kit..

Original Series:- Coopers Ale yeast

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale - Coopers Ale yeast & Commercial Lager Yeast X
Mexican Cerveza - Coopers Ale yeast & Commercial Lager Yeast X
European Lager - Commercial Lager Yeast X
Canadian Blonde - Coopers Ale yeast
English Bitter - Coopers Ale yeast

Thomas Coopers Selection:-
Wheat - Commercial Ale Yeast X
IPA - Coopers Ale yeast
Irish Stout - Commercial Ale Yeast X
Pilsener - Commercial Lager Yeast X
Australian Bitter - Coopers Ale yeast & Commercial Lager Yeast X
Heritage Lager - Coopers Ale yeast & Commercial Lager Yeast X
Sparkling Ale - Coopers Ale yeast & Commercial Lager Yeast X
Traditional Draught - Coopers Ale yeast & Commercial Lager Yeast X

He's also stated that it is not Mauri 514 that's used in Coopers kits.

Our dry yeast was orginally coded with the bloke's intitials (who developed it as a part of his PhD) - once Coopers Brewery took it on, the first three intitials were changed to CBL and now they are CB. I'm not permitted to divulge the rest of the identifiers but I can state absolutely that it is not 514.

Back