Cooper's Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luka

Reaction score
I picked up some Coopers cans the other day at my local HBS along with the recipe sheet for their malt cans. So I decided to follow one, basically a can of Sparkling Ale and one can of Dark Malt. Now they were calling this an 'English Bitter', but its so dark in colour it looks more like a dark ale/porter.
Just wondering what others experieces are with these recipes? have you followed them? Or do you personalise them?

Also, I want to bulk prime this for bottling and try to keep it low carbonation and creamy like English Bitters. What do people reccomend I use for priming and how much?

Cheers
Luka

You do need to use more DME than dextrose if you are priming with it.

However, because priming is such a small amount (comparatively to the rest of the wort), you won't notice any difference whatsoever by using dextrose or white sugar instead of malt.

the amount of sugar you use to bulk prime will depend on your final volume, yes you can use light malt extract for this, i usually do, not because of any taste differences, more for that authentic feeling of having no dex in it. I just looked at a recipe in beersmith I did for a bitter and if you use 5g/Litre of dried malt extract, or 3.5g/Litre if using dextrose this will give you approx 1.8vol of carbonation which the style calls for anywhere from 0.8(this will be near flat) to 2.2vols. I think you should like the 1.8vol. 250g malto dextrin in a 23 litre brew (part of your base recipe) will help give you a nice creamy head that will hang around.

Latest posts

Back