Coopers real ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewkid

Reaction score
Hi everyone I haven't been on here for a while but ill be a regular again soon I promise

I plan on using brown sugar with a coopers real ale kit
What do you think about this idea
Cheers: HBK

I used 300 grams of golden syrup in a Coopers Draught based K&K a while back. Tasted like Coopers Draught.

Brown sugar is just white sugar with mollases added for colour. So your beer is still going to be at the lower end of the quality scale.

The best thing you can do is put the sugar in the rubbish bin, then use 1 kg dme and no more than 250 g dextrose.

Do all the other things like sanitation, temp control etc and you will be on the right track.

Black Devil Dog said:
Brown sugar is just white sugar with mollases added for colour. So your beer is still going to be at the lower end of the quality scale.
Not going to question the bit about what the sugar is but pretty much every report I've read of this tin is that it turns out great when done as per tin recipe. HBK, your plan sounds about as good as it gets as long as straight k&K is your usual process (and you're on top of temps, sanitation, etc).

bum said:
Not going to question the bit about what the sugar is but pretty much every report I've read of this tin is that it turns out great when done as per tin recipe. HBK, your plan sounds about as good as it gets as long as straight k&K is your usual process (and you're on top of temps, sanitation, etc).

A can of goop and 1 kg of cane sugar does not make a quality beer in my opinion.

It's how many homebrewers begin their brewing and is the one of the first changes they make.

OP ditch the sugar.

I'm not arguing against that in general but people's experience seems to be that this kit is the exception that proves the rule or something.

All feedback seems to suggest that if HBK thinks a k&k will make a beer he'll like then this one probably won't disappoint (allowing for process, etc).

If you're going to ditch the kg of sugar, replace it with 500g of dried malt extract, and 500g of dextrose.

You need some sugar in there or it'll come out too cloying and finish with a high FG. Coopers is a dry beer - and they make cans of goop "extra thick" (technical term) to allow for the kg of sugar.

Ok so I think I'll wait till I'm near the brew shop and pick up a #22 amber blend it turned out beautiful with that last time [ first few months were pretty ordinary though it got very good after 4-6 months ]
Was just thinking about brown sugar as haven't had it for years I think it's too sweet anyway

Cheers: HBK

Sugar is sweet.
Brown sugar is sweet.
Neither are sweet when they are converted to alcohol.

Back