Coopers Real Ale -

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlegger

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i might just be paranoid, but after only 4 hours there is a heavy sediment (looks like un-disolved extract) at the bottom of my fermenter.
The extract was a Coppers real ale, brewed as per the instructions.
Is this normal? This is my 4th Brew but i cant recall the others (black rock whispering wheat, black rock cider & Coopers Lager) having this substance settle so early??
(maybe i have had too many hoegaarden clones? :rolleyes: )

If you want, you could sanitize a brew spoon or something similar and give it a careful stir?

I've never looked that closely so quickly after starting the brew, but I believe it is normal for sediment to fall out pretty quickly.

When making yeast starters I boil water and dried malt extract in glass bottles to sanitize it and then cool it in the bottles.
Already while cooling there is sediment at the bottom of the bottles, so guess it's from the malt extract/beer kit.

thanks
Bjorn

Is this normal?

Completely normal mate, it'll go away once fermentation starts due to the yeast being very active, and then come back and settle down again once it stops. I've had that layer about 10cm on some full extract brews

It could be just 'cold break' which is what precipitates out of a wort as it cools. On the Coopers website they say that you may notice some cold break in their kits. Good yeast nutrient and nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back