Coopers Real Ale Too Cool?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
5 day ago I started a can of Cooper's real Ale. I made it per instructions. except I added 5tsp of DAP yeast nutrient. I only added enough DEX to bring the OG up to 1.051 at 18C.

I used the "No Boil" method. After topping up to 25L I was at 18C. I took the yeast packet and put in a jar half full of wort. I shook the heck out of it then poured it in. 2 days later I would expect it to be going gangbusters. I stirred the thin krausen down with a sterilized whisk. 3 days after that (today) I checked it again and it has a pretty healthy krausen, but not super exciting. The temp slipped down to 17.5C. Is this too cold? It smells OK. Should I move it upstairs where it is warmer? Any benefits to almost being at lagering temp?

5 day ago I started a can of Cooper's real Ale. I made it per instructions. except I added 5tsp of DAP yeast nutrient. I only added enough DEX to bring the OG up to 1.051 at 18C.

I used the "No Boil" method. After topping up to 25L I was at 18C. I took the yeast packet and put in a jar half full of wort. I shook the heck out of it then poured it in. 2 days later I would expect it to be going gangbusters. I stirred the thin krausen down with a sterilized whisk. 3 days after that (today) I checked it again and it has a pretty healthy krausen, but not super exciting. The temp slipped down to 17.5C. Is this too cold? It smells OK. Should I move it upstairs where it is warmer? Any benefits to almost being at lagering temp?

Is the gravity dropping? 18 degrees is a good ale temp so assuming the yeast was ok you should be in buisness.
If the gravity is falling then no need to worry. It'll tick along as low as 16 degrees, it will just be a bit slower.

You are stirring what now when now?

Firstly, no need to try and make a starter out of your kit yeast, re hydrate yes, starter no unless for a specific reason..

Secondly, do not stir or add oxygen after you have pitched yeast unless still in growth phase..

Thirdly. You have an ale yeast that will work down to about 16 or possibly lower with care, others can expand on this yeast.

Fourth, give it time to do its thing mate, patience amd use the hydrometer to tell you what your brew is doing

Yob

You are stirring what now when now?

Firstly, no need to try and make a starter out of your kit yeast, re hydrate yes, starter no unless for a specific reason..

Secondly, do not stir or add oxygen after you have pitched yeast unless still in growth phase..

Thirdly. You have an ale yeast that will work down to about 16 or possibly lower with care, others can expand on this yeast.

Fourth, give it time to do its thing mate, patience amd use the hydrometer to tell you what your brew is doing

Yob

I assumed it was still in the growth phase by the lack of krausen and a heavy malt smell yet. Checking it earlier today confirmed this because the krausen was 3 times what I had before. We had a very warm Autumn and my beers would be done with 1st stage ferment in 3-4 days max. I haven't made beer in the Winter since 1993. I forgot that back then I used electric heat pads to warm it a little.

On the cellar floor I can start some lagers now. It wont warm up till late April.

Latest posts

Back