Coopers Pilsener

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray

Beer bear.
Reaction score
So I've bought a Coopers Pilsener tin and kilo of stuff for my father's birthday (day before christmas). While sticking the yeast in the fridge as soon as I got it home I noticed it was a different yeast to the normal Coopers gold foil stuff. I was assuming they would pack it with a normal ale yeast as they do with their lager.

On further investigation it turns out the recommended fermentation range for this yeast is 17-25C. Either it is a lager yeast and they are giving bad information, or it is a different strain of ale yeast. Anyway, Dad ferments his beer at about 26C and I can't change his mind.

Does anyone know the answer? I'm considering turfing the packet and giving him a couple of the more temperature-tolerant Coopers yeast packets.

I remember reading somewhere that they use a lager yeast for their pilsener and bavarian lager. All the rest I think are their regular ale yeast.

17-25 sounds a bit high though.

Here we go, quick reply from Coopers.

Hello Murray, we supply a true Lager yeast with the Pilsner kit and it will work quite well down to 14C. Best results are achieved below 20C.

Cheers, frank.

That sounds much better.

Is it the Silver packet?? Got anymore descriptions?

Yes, it is in the silver packet. Its at home so I'll give more details later.

The brewmaster and International and Heritage series have appropriate yeasts with the kits.

Still not enough, of course, for a real lager flavor 24g would be a better amount to pitch, and the temperature be under 12C

Small steps. . .

Jovial Monk

Admin edit: Sparse post

Back