Coopers PET bottle caps (Issuses)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoCrows

Reaction score
Happy holidays to all at AHB,

I use coopers pet bottles and recently purchased 4 x boxes to bottle a few new beers. I also purchased x 100 caps to freshen up my older
bottles, with a view to get more soon.

I noticed that the style has changed, no longer having the blue seal inside.

On the older bottles, I had so many caps not screwing down to the point of sealing and cross threading.

Also issues sealing on the new bottles.

The new caps appear to seal inside and over the top of the bottle opening.

Has anyone else had issues with the newer style cap ?

I have not had any issues with the older or newer style caps, although the odd bottle has given up on me. I was hesitant with the newer bottle caps as it did not appear like they would seal properly but they have been fine for me and no leaks. When bottling, I always put the caps on without tightening them too hard and then once bottling is done, I take a tea towel and tighten all the caps using it to grip and to save the serrated caps from eating into my hand. I think that way it means you are effectively double checking the caps are on properly.

Thanks for your reply danspam. I went through all of my caps with the blue seal and separated the seal and sanitised them and then reassembled.

When I bottle I squeeze all air out and the screw the lid on. Then wash the bottle in starsan to remove any wort on the outside of the bottle. Tighten again and store.

By removing the air and storing in high ambient temps to bottles do not pop/ explode and still carb up nicely.

Caps with the blue seal they changed those a few years ago for soft drink bottles and without the blue seal easier to clean and probably cheaper to make.

I read they changed a while ago, and just selling out there stock. They changed as you stated to use PET caps that could be sourced easily.

Latest posts

Back