Coopers Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Now i have tried a search (maybe i am doing it wrong) but i am sure there was a thread on a clone recipe. I have a coopers ale yeast built up and ready to brew on the weekend, however just wanted some idea's on the grainbill

was going to use powells floor ale malt, some light crystal and ~200g of sugar, POR for ~25IBU bitterness and a addition to flavour (may not be a true clone but adds a bit more to it.

idea's?
1050 starting gravity and try to mash slightly more fermentable wort to get the low FG that coopers seem to have

Cheers :chug:

yep thats look like the one i was looking for

I searched for coopers pale ale clone but didn't find it :(

thanks mate , it looks like my brew is on track

Gout,
Re thread
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/Coop...ookl-t4646.html

Just to let you know I kegged that Coopers Pale Ale Clone yesterday and am force carbing as we speak, hope to pour my first one on sunday afternoon.
At the time of kegging the color looked to be spot on, and the beer was crisp and dry.
The final gravity reading was 1.005 which is exactly what I wanted.

The only setback I had was the coopers yeast, even using the dregs from 4 bottles I could not get a viable culture so I had to resort to using whitelabs dry english ale liquid yeast that I had prepped for another brew.
Because of this the beer is crystal clear, which is not really such a bad thing as it looks great, I will give more detailed tasting notes after I tap the keg if anyone is interested.
good luck with your brew,

Regards
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
The only setback I had was the coopers yeast, even using the dregs from 4 bottles I could not get a viable culture
[post="51668"][/post]​

Geez that's strange to hear Andrew. :(

How long did you give the cultures? I used to find that they took three days to really start firing. I've only ever had it not be viable once and that was a pretty oldish bottle of Coopers Stout.

Now I don't know if they've changed the yeast lately or places like Dan Murphy's are getting Coop Soup in fresher these days. I'm finding that even the dregs of one stubbie in about 200ml of starter gets going in about 24 hours. I've usually got a viable starter for 40 litres of wort firing away in about 5-6 days.

Maybe it suffers on it's way up to Qld.? :eek:

Warren -

Warren,

They probably do suffer on the way up but I thought I'd still get a bubble, The starter is still sitting on my shelf 3 weeks later and no activity at all until 2 days ago when a white scum/film appeared on top but still no airlock activity. it is going down the drain and I will make another attempt in a few weeks.

Regards
Andrew

Hi Andrew

I got around to brewing mine 2 weeks ago and I'll be bottling it this week.

Our recipes were very similar so it's no surprise my colour also came out very close. It's nice and cloudy too - just what I was after although some may not like the appearance.

I managed to culture the yeast from 2 bottles and it performed well. Interesting yeast. It's the first time I've used it. Fermented at 20C but it still gave off a very noticable banana smell everytime I opened the fermenting fridge. Not very flocculant. Apparent attenuation was 84% but it did have 0.7kg of sugar in it. FG 1.007.

The taste is around the mark too but malt and hops are noticable, unlike the original. But we all know it's impossible to duplicate commercial beers because of the methods involved so I'm not bothered about that. A good session, easy, bbq beer.

Overall I think it's good one to show those mega-swill-I'll-never-touch-homebrew sort of people just what they're missing. If they were feeling adventurous enough to actually try it, of course.

Regards
Steve

my starter has fired up, 4 stubbies and it took say 2 days to get going its now in 2Lt wort strater for sat brew, should give it heaps of time to be ready...

cant wait to try this brew, since i am out of beer and only have some mega swill left overs from easyer weekend CUB yuck!

my starter has fired up, 4 stubbies and it took say 2 days to get going its now in 2Lt wort strater for sat brew, should give it heaps of time to be ready...

cant wait to try this brew, since i am out of beer and only have some mega swill left overs from easter weekend CUB yuck!

Gout said:
Now i have tried a search (maybe i am doing it wrong) but i am sure there was a thread on a clone recipe. I have a coopers ale yeast built up and ready to brew on the weekend, however just wanted some idea's on the grainbill

was going to use powells floor ale malt, some light crystal and ~200g of sugar, POR for ~25IBU bitterness and a addition to flavour (may not be a true clone but adds a bit more to it.

idea's?
1050 starting gravity and try to mash slightly more fermentable wort to get the low FG that coopers seem to have

Cheers :chug:
[post="51637"][/post]​
Wouldn't have thought the crystal was needed, and a starting gravity of 1050 should give you a stronger beer than Pale Ale's 4.5%, particularly given the sugar and the highly attenuating nature of the yeast. Assuming a finishing gravity of 1010 that would be approx 5.16% - closer to Sparkling than Pale.

yep sorry that was done at work just off my head

i am now looking at:

Coopers Ale2

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.27
Anticipated OG: 1.044 Plato: 11.1
Anticipated SRM: 5.2
Anticipated IBU: 26.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
82.0 3.50 kg. Powells Ale Malt Victoria 1.038 5
15.2 0.65 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0
2.3 0.10 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2
0.5 0.02 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.036 28

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
20.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 9.10 23.9 60 min.
10.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 9.10 2.4 10 min.

sounds better?

P.S it does not need to "BE" a coopers ale, just very similar in style as mates loved the last one i brewed... infact finished the keg in just a few hrs hmmmmm :party: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back