Coopers pale ale can

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbrewry

Reaction score
Thinking of trying a can, people thoughts? wont use the yeast provided tho

They are some of the best base cans around. Like most kits, they need a bit extra hops, yeast etc.

But a very nice drop

Yep, simple and good. The yeast is good too if its still the same. Make a starter for the yeast and get it activated first for a few hours at least if you can.

Its a great kit if you use the correct brew enhancer pack made with Coopers bottle yeast

It a dead ringer for the real thing if you keep the temp at 18*

I have just tapped a keg of this, I put down with us05 yeast and dry hopped with 12g of cascade. Brew enhancer 2 ( actually HBS mix but the same as I think)
Great beer, my favourite so far

Cpa is my fav can always trying new hop add ins
Got the coopers recipe fruit salad ale going at moment
Addition of 25 cascade 25 amirrilo smells delicious

Great base kit can. Definitely try the fruit salad ale recipe of the coopers website, one of my favs. With that kit, just add a can of liquid malt either Amber, light or wheat, steep some grain, 10min boil of hops in 5L and some US-05 yeast, ferment at 18degrees and you will have a great beer every time.

Just water works fine, but some people seem to think that you should mix in malts with it

Bradgc said:
Just water works fine, but some people seem to think that you should mix in malts with it
Malt helps bring out the oils better and increases isomerisation

Fill fermenter with 10lt aerated tap water. (I'm in Melbourne)
Heat the can in a pot of water.
Boil the Sugars in a pot with 3lt water. + optional: (add hops or whatever's)
Chill pot in sink of water, or not.
Tip in hot can of Coopers, rinse can walls with boiled water all into fermenter with boiled sugars.
Top up to volume. Seal and rock and shake to mix. Check temp (on the strip thermometer on the fermenter) Pitch the activated yeast starter at close to wort temp. Seel the fermenter and shake and rock the fermenter (inoculating the entire contents including the head space) for at least 2 minutes. Airlock and wait 2 weeks. Bottle (with carb drops) or keg that good beer.

They are good, Will.

You can also simply use light dry malt extract (LDME) as well if you wish. This simply doesn't have any hop in it - so you can then create your won hop mix. Or you can use both - the can and some dry extract. I do this when making my IPAs - I use a re-jigged version of the Coopers Authentic IPA plus 1kg of LDME and some steeped grains and then do a 30 min boil and hop schedule.

If you are wanting a nice American Pale Ale recipe and are game to try doing an Extract recipe, then give the attached a go. It was in an earlier addition of the Beer & Brewer magazine this year. Its a nice and easy extract recipe and produces a very nice pale ale.

Cheers,

Pete

Amer-Pale-Ale-Recipe-Brew-Mag (Large).jpg

I've used them before and think they are good.

I recently bought a few cans wanting to make the "fruit salad" recipe mentioned above for summer.

Ditto on Ducatiboy;s post, get yourself a 6 pack of Pale and make up a starter with the yeast.....try and keep the fermenting temp down to 18c for a really clean taste

Back