Coopers Original Stout Update

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty McFly

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I posted a little while ago about my stout that I kind of ballsed up. Thought I would come back to drink more from the forum's infinite fountain of wisdom.

The recipe was:

• 1 can of Coopers stout
  • Brew Enhancer 2
  • Fermentis s04 yeast
  • 250g treacle
For some reason I pitched the yeast at about 30 degrees, a newb mistake that I shan't repeat. It's been in the fermenter for 2 weeks today. The first week it was at 21-24 degrees, then I was told to keep it at around 18, so for the next week it was around 16-18.

The first week it smelt very strongly of sour apple, today it hasn't improved too much, it's certainly not as bad, but it's still very sour and odd. The aftertaste is not too bad however, a bit malty and stouty, but overall it is pretty unpleasant.

I was wondering if anyone has any predictions for this batch, will it be okay if I bottle it and leave it for a month? Should I keep it in the fermenter for another week? Or is this all just a exercise in futility?

Thanks gang.

If you're bottling, I'd leave it more like 6 months (or even more)
Stout does well with a good amount of aging

I'm not sure I have that kind of patience.

But if I was going to do that, I'd need to know if it was going to turn out okay first.

Open one bottle in a month and judge from there
If you're wanting something to drink soon, go grab a Coopers PA can, a pack of BE2 and some cascade hops (pellets, not a teabag) and a pack of US05 yeast
throw it all in a fermenter with 20 grams of the cascade (just throw it in loose, it'll fall out eventually) and ferment at 18 degrees
2 - 3 weeks in bottle and you should have a nice pale ale that's pleasantly hopped

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but a pitch at 30 degrees and getting up to 24 in the first week (when fermentation actually occurs) is probably going to leave you with an average at best beer.

I was thinking of having a go at a Coopers Sparkling with recultured yeast from the bottles. But I'll try that recipe, too sp0rk.

Sad that the stout will be a bit crap, maybe I'll just bottle 10L and dump the rest, then tuck them away for 6 months and forget any of this ever happened.

Matty McFly said:
Sad that the stout will be a bit crap, maybe I'll just bottle 10L and dump the rest, then tuck them away for 6 months and forget any of this ever happened.
Instead of dumping the rest just put it into 2L PET. You never know it may turn out OK then you'll kick yourself for tipping it.

Yes I agree Stout is a bit forgiving to sloppy work and will taste alright with a bit of time in the bottle. I usually get into it after two weeks and it hardly lasts for six.

Okay, I'll do that!

Where would one find himself swimming in 2L PET bottles? I try to abstain from Coke and the like so I don't find myself around many of them..

I'd buy more Coopers ones, but man they're pricey

I think BribieG was buying 2 litre bottles from Aldi. If you don't use the cola just pour down the sink. I would buy a bottle of rum.

Matty McFly said:
Okay, I'll do that!

Where would one find himself swimming in 2L PET bottles? I try to abstain from Coke and the like so I don't find myself around many of them..

I'd buy more Coopers ones, but man they're pricey
Get the cheap soft drinks/soda water from Coles/Woolies/IGA normally about $0.70 each. Drink the soft drink/soda water or tip it.

Cheers

soda warrah?

on a side note, S-04 is a bit estery anyway. fresh dark malts (i.e. specialty grains) can really make the beer great, but as per everyone's advice you will prob have to set a bunch aside, try every month and brew something else in between. :)

if you have your sanitation right, consistent fermentation temps (at the right temp) are a massive improvement to your beer. at least you have some kind of control, so relax and give it another go. :)

good luck and enjoy...

Back