Coopers Old Spiced Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smeagol

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 'old spiced' recipe on the coopers site for their dark ale?

1 X can of dark ale mix
1 X brew enhancer 2
2 X tspn ground cinnamon

Well, I would throw out Coopers stupid brew enhancer and add a can of liquid amber or dark extract. I would use cassia ("Vietnamese cinnamon") instead of the real things and add, say, 6 cloves, 6 cardomon pods and a star anise, all pounded up in a morter and pestle.

If you are not doing a boil, add the crushed grains to 100ml cheap vodka, let steep a week or so then strain out the spices and add the spice tea to secondary.

Come to think of it, add a can of liquid wheat malt to the dark ale.

Jovial Monk

Burn the recipe book it came from and add the ashes to the ferment.... Should complement the cinnamon with some nice roast flavours.

Jovial_Monk said:
Well, I would throw out Coopers stupid brew enhancer and add a can of liquid amber or dark extract. I would use cassia ("Vietnamese cinnamon") instead of the real things and add, say, 6 cloves, 6 cardomon pods and a star anise, all pounded up in a morter and pestle.

If you are not doing a boil, add the crushed grains to 100ml cheap vodka, let steep a week or so then strain out the spices and add the spice tea to secondary.

Come to think of it, add a can of liquid wheat malt to the dark ale.

Jovial Monk
[post="55044"][/post]​

Already tried that.

is the liquid wheat malt good in a dark ale? just want to know as im going to fill all my kegs, and i have an beermarkers dark ale kit sitting around and will put it on this week or early next week

Well, your beer wil certainly have a great head :)

I think it will be a nice contrast to the dark malt flavors.

So, Smeagol, what are you asking then? I would never use a cooper brew enhancer or coopers recipes

JM

My brother used to drink Old Spice at parties

dickTed said:
My brother used to drink Old Spice at parties
[post="55177"][/post]​
...as a party trick?

or was he an alky? :lol:

BTW, I had a mate who used to clean up all the ash trays and empty beers to make a morning-after cocktail. So he told me...

Seth

Jovial_Monk said:
Well, your beer wil certainly have a great head :)

I think it will be a nice contrast to the dark malt flavors.

So, Smeagol, what are you asking then? I would never use a cooper brew enhancer or coopers recipes

JM
[post="55070"][/post]​

It's a pretty easy to read thread, I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this recipe and what they thought of it???
Not all of the bullshit that you've carried on with. If it is "below you" to use the brew enhancer kits then that's fine but you shouldn't belittle others if that's their preference.

I like homebrewing but I prefer to do it the simple way and stick to the kits. A lot of people do this. But I think that your post might intimidate people into thinking that they're "not worthy" of being on a home brew forum if they want to just make the basic kit brews.

Petty stuff mate.

Smeagol said:
Has anyone tried the 'old spiced' recipe on the coopers site for their dark ale?

1 X can of dark ale mix
1 X brew enhancer 2
2 X tspn ground cinnamon
[post="55025"][/post]​

Hi Smeagol

I don't do kits anymore, but I think what you are asking is what the spice would do to the beer. If thats the case, have you tried getting a coopers dark ale (or one of your homebrews), mixing up some ground cinnamon in water (strong mix), then adding a few drops at a time of the mix to a glass?

If you like the flavour/aroma, then I would open a bottle, add the equivalent amount, cap the bottle and taste again in 1,2, 4 weeks to see what it does.

Cheers
Pedro

Gulf Brewery said:
Smeagol said:

1 X can of dark ale mix
1 X brew enhancer 2
2 X tspn ground cinnamon
[post="55025"][/post]​

Hi Smeagol

I don't do kits anymore, but I think what you are asking is what the spice would do to the beer. If thats the case, have you tried getting a coopers dark ale (or one of your homebrews), mixing up some ground cinnamon in water (strong mix), then adding a few drops at a time of the mix to a glass?

If you like the flavour/aroma, then I would open a bottle, add the equivalent amount, cap the bottle and taste again in 1,2, 4 weeks to see what it does.

Cheers
Pedro
[post="55257"][/post]​

Good suggestion, thanks Pedro :chug:

Are you speaking from experience regarding the bottling side of things? Sounds like you know what it might do??

Smeagol said:
Are you speaking from experience regarding the bottling side of things? Sounds like you know what it might do??
[post="55265"][/post]​

Smeagol

All flavours change in time, in food and beer. Just think of the taste of your beer over a few weeks as it matures. Spices / flavours diminish in and mellow in the beer over time as well, so what might be fine for the 1st week you might not taste at all in 2 months.

Cheers
Pedro

I sell kits all day and don't look down on kit brewers. I just don't think much of the coopers brew enhancers

JM

Back