Coopers Mild Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start with a Coopers Pale Ale recipe and adjust the Alc down to about 3.5% ( ie reduce your total grain volume )

Bitter with POR and late hop with SAAZ at about 10min ( 5 will also work)

10% wheat
5% Med Xtal
85% Pale Malt

POR @ 60min to about 25-28IBU
SAAZ @ 10-5Min to about 5 IBU

Any decent Ale yeast

Milds are really interesting to brew. They are harder than normal beers as you have to get the balance right, which means dropping your overall IBU a little and mashing high to get the mouthfeel the same as big ALC beers

Light beer is even harder and more rewarding

DBS recipe looks good* but depending on how close you want to the real thing, I'd suggest the coopers yeast is a must.

*@dbs - coopers suggest 21 ibu for their mild.

DBS recipe looks good* but depending on how close you want to the real thing, I'd suggest the coopers yeast is a must.

I have seen the Coopers spec & Pale Ale is only about 25-26IBU, but for some reason, when doing my clone, I needed to calc higher IBU. And that was using Promash ( very old )

I always found that a good pale recipe @ ~ 4.5% generally only needs about 30ish IBU max to balance it

The trick with Mild's is dropping the IBU in proportion to the SG. IBU:SG is a ratio that needs to be followed with lighter Alc beers

Got to remember that late additions dont always "taste" bitter if you know what I mean.

And I dont like IPA. Really...I dont like IPA that much. I am good for about 3 than thats it

I love the challenge of brewing light & mild. So much harder ( it is harder to get the balance right ) than just making a big beer, but get it right and it is so rewarding

I'm with you on that. My dark mild recipe has low ibu with a small challenger addition at the end. Delicious.

And I'm while I enjoy standard aipa and apa, I find the hop, hop, hop approach tiresome after one or two pints. I rarely brew ipa (although I love wee heavy, quads and tripels so big beers have a place in my cellar).

I can easily see 30-ish ibu working with this.

Do I have to culture from the original or can I buy it off the shelf?

There is a Whitelabs that's same/similar strain but it's also easy enough to culture from a few fresh longnecks.

WLP009 Australian Ale

Do I have to culture from the original or can I buy it off the shelf?
You have to culture it

I spoke to Dr Tim about this and he went on to explain that the brewery yeast does not perform when de-hydrated so the only way was to culture it from a couple of bottles. He was all for culturing the yeast from the bottles. Great bloke and had a good yarn with him about things beer and Coopers. He is very open an enthusiastic about beer

Back