Coopers Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlbaby

Beer Budda
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of yeast coopers use in their bavarian lager kit?

I've heard people say that they use a genuine lager yeast, however the can says to ferment at 21degC, which doesnt sound right for a lager yeast. :huh:

thanks in advance.

vlbaby.

Dont trust the instructions on the kits, especially for the yeast. The bavarian lager is a lager yeast, so ferments best at temperatures between 8 and 12 degrees. These yeasts will ferment as much higher temperatures, but will give you crap results.

Another brand that seems to have caught many people out is the cascade kits. Apparently all thier yeasts are lager yeasts, but the recommendations are to ferment at up to 26 degrees.

I really dont want to try one of those beers

did the coopers pilsner (with the included lager yeast) a couple of months ago. fermented just fine at 12C. it did so well, it dropped from 1011 to 1004 in secondary.
the actual instructions under the cap said (this is from memory) that it is a lager yeast and should be fermented at lower temps.
joe

I wondered if the coopers pislner is using the same yeast as in the bav lager.
It has also crossed my mind also that coopers are selling these kits with a mix of ale and lager yeast so as to give the amateur brewer a bigger temperature window to play with.
Less chance of totalling killing the brew that way i suppose.

Coopers only have straight lager yeast in Pilsner and Wheat beer. Some of the premium selection have an ale/lager mix,and the rest are ale yeasts.

Does anyone know if the regular "Coopers Lager" yeast is a true lager yeast fermentable at 10-12C? If not, I'll get ditch the coopers and pitch the saflager. Or pitch both?

B.I.G.,

If you have the Saflager and can ferment at 10-12 then I would definitely suggest using it on its own. The standard series Cooper's lager can has an ale yeast under its lid which will not work at those temps. The Saflager at those temps will give a more realistic lager flavour and a better beer in my opinion. It will take in the vicinity of 2 weeks at that temp though just to finish primary ferment so if it is your first go at that yeast, be aware!

Good luck!

Shawn.

regular coopers lager yeast is an ale yeast.
if you can brew at 12 deg then use saflager - dont worry about the ale yeast.
cheers

I was just wondering what strain Coopers use with their Bavarian lager & did a quick search & ended up here.
I thought I read somewhere that it is 34/70. Can anyone confirm or correct this?
J

Does anyone know what kind of yeast coopers use in their bavarian lager kit?

I've heard people say that they use a genuine lager yeast, however the can says to ferment at 21degC, which doesnt sound right for a lager yeast. :huh:

thanks in advance.

vlbaby.

Another beer site I vsit has a list of which yeasts are in which cans.

Bavarian apparently uses Saflager.

I don't know which one they use, but am sure the question has been answered on the site somewhere. Try doing your search again, but refine it with the nick Jayse, he has been an excellent source of information on Coopers products.

Another beer site I vsit has a list of which yeasts are in which cans.

Bavarian apparently uses Saflager.

would you care to list this site please ??

M

Yep, ill back up saflager (34/70 think) being in bavarian being an adelaide boy.

It is Saflager S23. That came from the horses mouth at Coopers to another brew site.

Back