Coopers IPA / Australian Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hostage_85

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about making an IPA for my next batch.
However, I have a spare Australia Pale Ale tin at home.

I'm wondering if I can get away with using the Pale Ale tin and a can of Coopers LME Amber and bump the Hop boil right up.
Do you think that would get me to a similar style IPA, or should I just bight the bullet and by the Coopers IPA can from my LHBS?

I brewed the coopers brew A IPA it's not bad but more malt based than the hop forward IPA I was expecting. Not bad but requires conditioning for quite a while to mellow out the caramel flavours

I think a pale tin, malt and a lot of your own hop additions is a good way to make a kit based ipa.

Yep bump up the hot boil with a ten minute addition of your favourite aromatic hops and also dry hop the FV about two or three days out from bottling or kegging.

If you are up for a bit more adventure you could always get some cracked Light Crystal malt - say 200 grams and steep that in a couple of litres of hot but not boiling water for an hour and strain that into the pot with the malt prior to boiling. You'd be surprised how much this lifts a Coopers kit.

I pimped up a pale ale kit with 1 can of Cooper's light malt extract and 500g of biscuit malt. Steeped the malt at 72C for about 25 minutes, then boiled for about 45 minutes, with Columbus and Centennial added at 45 minutes, then Columbus and Cascade at flame out. Dry hopped with some Cascade and fermented with US-05. It was right up my alley, but a bit too powerhouse for some of our Toohey's new drinking guests - they opted for the Inn Keeper's Daughter (aka Sparkling Ale) without any extra tweaks.

If you want to get an IPA with a pale ale kit as the basis, you'll need to boil at least some hops to push it in the right direction. I don't think dry hoping alone will get you far enough.

Thanks Guys,
I might pickup so Crystal Malt from the HBS and give the pale ale can a try.

Cheers.

I have made a few hoppy IPA styles with the pale ale and have done 2 with the brew a IPA

I much prefer the regular pale ale as a base. The brew a while more than drinkable seems less mailable.

Pale kit would be fine esp with all malt

Just add about 15-20 extra IBU to it.

Prob 8-10 IBU as a 45-40min boil of say POR or Fuggles/EKG

Then just do a a 10-15min & 5 min addition

Back