Coopers Heritage Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
G'Day all,

I just made an ale using a Coopers Heritage Lager can (safale yeast) as a base and was wondering if I should keep the yeast that came with the kit for some winter brews when it's colder.

Is it actually a lager yeast?

You mentioned you made "an ale" and the yeast provided was "safale".

I wouldn't need any more evidence to suggest it's an ale yeast :)

You can also ferment ales in cooler climates... they still do well down to 15C.

The Bavarian Lager used to come with lager yeast, don't know about the European Lager kit that replaces it,
yet to try. Thomas Coopers Pilsener also comes with yeast that goes down to low temps; though a winter heat wave
hit my effort last year and I got it down to 14 deg. Still made fairly decent beer though.

If your thinking of brewing at temps near 13 deg C, remember to either pitch plenty of yeast or culture up a starter.
It took me some time to spot in the fine print on the back of a Saflager packet that they recommend 2 sachets at 13 deg C.
Since that's a bit expensive, learn to make a starter, and maybe get more than one brew from a sachet.

Hello

I'm new to brewing and enjoying heaps. So far I have made a Morgans Larger, Black Rock IPA, Brewrcraft Crown Larger, Coopers Bitter, and 3 of the Coopers Premium selection (Bitter, Sparkling Ale and Heritage Larger). At the moment I have a Light German Bock (2 Heritage Larger and 1 kilo of Light Dry Malt) brewing around the 17c mark.

Which brings me to the question about the Heritage Larger yeast I found this on the Coopers Forum.

European Lager and Pilsener have 100% lager yeast.
Mexican Cerveza, Australian Pale Ale and the 4 Premium Selection brews have lager/ale blends.
Wheat Beer, Irish Stout, IPA, Ginger Beer and Canadian Blonde have ale yeast.

I really like Coopers Heritage Larger and Premium Bitter.

Back