Coopers getting in on the game of daft brewing machines?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you could make your own fresh wort and store in 10 litre containers, but would then be defeating the simplicity of the whole idea, I would consider getting one, something useful to have between brewing sessions.

BrewArt Complete Kegging Pack BrewFlo $699 expensive for a 5L kegging system
The liner they use in the plastic keg bottle is that similar to a goon bag does it use air pressure to dispense the beer could it be adapted to work without paying for the BrewFlo.

I'd say you're right that it will force air into the cavity between the goon bag and the keg to dispense the beer and keep it under pressure to stay carbonated. I suppose you could jerry rig an aquarium pump to do the same and just keep it in a regular fridge.

After watching the video again I notice they mention a "compressor" in the brewflo. It's great to hear they're not using cheap thermoelectric coolers because it should help keep the power bill down and it also justifies a lot of the price when you compare it to (say) a new fridge.

Unfortunately I also picked up that they seem to only offer a 1 year warranty. As a potential early adopter willing to drop some serious dollars on the system it feels like they're not putting much faith in their product. A 1 year warranty is already implied under fair trading in Australia and I'd be so disappointed if it carked it after 13 months.

Even with i year warranty that does not mean that after a year the company can escape warranty repair faults.Also depends on the cost of the item and these are not cheap items but will they be around in a year .
They say the liner is single use only and its $15 for 4 liners and tubes could possibly be refilled .

peteru said:
But if there was a varied selection (let's say the range that Beer Cartel + Leura Cellars have) at 2 cents a pint easily available, would you have started brewing in the first place?

I think there are many brewers that started brewing because they wanted to drink something better that what was easily available. Clearly some people enjoy the process, but I doubt that "having a go at making it yourself" would have been the primary motivator for the majority.

Either way, my point is that one size does not fit all, the same way as there isn't only one right way of making beer. If Cooper's want to team up with a "Brewing Thermomix" company and try to get a higher profile for homebrew, then good luck to them. The market place will sort itself fairly quickly and we'll see if it is a one season fad for cashed up people or something that will hang around and mature over a decade.

The timing is good. In time for father's day and Christmas.
I fall under the new brewer category and it was definitely because I thought it would be 'cool' to make my own product. I couldn't imagine ANYONE getting into brewing because they think they can produce something as good or better than what's commercially available - until you immerse yourself in a community like this and start learning about what's involved and how it works, you're oblivious to the possibilities.

I'm currently drinking a beer from my second ever brew and I'm blown away at how it's turned out. Still a long way from being perfect, but I'm enjoying it as much or more than the hop thief 8 I had last night. Until you start this process I don't think you have any idea that would be possible. And since I put this brew down I think I've increased my knowledge by 500%....

Excise duty what does the government get from each bottle or can of beer and then theres the cost of the bottle and can there is profit in selling home brew ingredients because of the tax.

Mattwa said:
More detailed video on the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYYUl5V64RI

Looks like the avoid using CO2 by having a goon bag in a bottle like those funky euro kegs. Assuming they are fermenting under pressure, how do they ensure no co2 is lost during kegging?
wow i buy this and get to dip my feet in the pool with a blonde lady, where do i sign up?

Yet another overpriced brew gadget to gather dust when the novelty wears off

Maybe, if you upgrade to the brunette, the novelty won't wear off as quickly.

Sorry I was a bit late on this, but I see the beerdroid as a pretty cool jigger. If it did 20 litres I'd be racing out to buy one. A temp controlled fermenter that is plug and play. I'm assuming I can make 20litres of wort in my BM and then split into 2 10 litre cubes then ferment in the beerdroid as required. I don't see anything that says you must use a coopers kit with it. The dispenser though... Meh...

Exile said:
Fark me.... $44.95 for a box of black shiny ingredients to make only 10 litres
In all fairness it did look as though you could get ingredients for 28 dollars as well, depending on what you got.

That said. That's still between 2.8/4.4 bucks per L. That's almost the same price as buying cheap cartons from Uncle Dans. I think my current batches of extract / kits and bits are still coming in around 1 dollar / L.

I think it's a good idea, but I can't see the market - I think there will be a lack of customisation with the kits as well. I'm pretty keen to go into Harveys and have a look at one to see how it'll work. But I definitely won't be buying one at that price. Give it a few years and hopefully they'll be down to 300.

Back