Coopers getting in on the game of daft brewing machines?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
My sandwich is also flat what is the time please harry wants a pumpkin
Every one else had strawberry jam except grandma who rode a bicycle!!

I like the concept, I am not sure if they would be a major source of income for the manufacturer, or a lift in overall sales figures for Harvey Norman, would be a good to see some reviews for the beer, just because its DME doesn't mean anything, after all I have read accolades on here in the past concerning a craft brewery who I have mentioned before uses DME in their brews. :)

If you pour a beer out of a bottle is it not pub quality? Or are they saying the quality of the beer they put into bottles is less than the quality of beer they put into the kegs that are sent to pubs?? :blink:

I have been trying to get my old man into brewing for a long time. This is what the cashed up yobbo needed to pike his interest. If it stretches his brewing enthusiasm an inch then it has already done its job. At least the cash isn't headed to CUB.

I have a theory why a lot of us on here home brew (all grain brewing). It isn't just about the self satisfaction of enjoying a beer brewed to your own taste, or the money saved by brewing that particular beer. Lots of people have brewed beer but not continued on with it. I believe that within most if not all of us on AHB, the scent of the barley in the mash tun, the hops in the boil, releases endorphin's in our brain which in turn makes it a pleasurable experience just in the process of brewing beer probably more so than the actual drinking.
Doesn't stop there, there are lots of experiences which scent on our senses play a major part, even if this machine could produce a beer I would be happy to drink, it would not satisfy that smell of hops in the boil or barley in the mash tun.

That categorisation certainly doesn't apply to me. I don't brew because of the sensory experiences encountered during the process. It's all about the final product, the means to get there are just a particular process. If I could get the beers I want to drink at a reasonable price point, I couldn't care less about losing the messy or labour intensive parts of the "making beer" experience.

manticle said:
If I could buy good beer for 2 cents a pint, I'd still brew.
But if there was a varied selection (let's say the range that Beer Cartel + Leura Cellars have) at 2 cents a pint easily available, would you have started brewing in the first place?

I think there are many brewers that started brewing because they wanted to drink something better that what was easily available. Clearly some people enjoy the process, but I doubt that "having a go at making it yourself" would have been the primary motivator for the majority.

Either way, my point is that one size does not fit all, the same way as there isn't only one right way of making beer. If Cooper's want to team up with a "Brewing Thermomix" company and try to get a higher profile for homebrew, then good luck to them. The market place will sort itself fairly quickly and we'll see if it is a one season fad for cashed up people or something that will hang around and mature over a decade.

The timing is good. In time for father's day and Christmas.

Absolutely. One size does not fit all.

However getting into brewing got me more into beer. Been into various Belgian beers and German beers for a while due to (past) hospitality work but brewing really got me into trying the variety and understanding more about what I'm trying.

You're right - I started with kits as a poor student spending too much on beer but I do also enjoy home cooking, gardening and a bunch of other vaguely DIY stuff so it's hard to say for sure. I can only say that as I am now, I wouldn't give it up.

Looks very nice, problem is that it only brews 10 L at time and I think if you buy their ingredients is $1.20 a schooner ($2.10 a long neck)....might as well go to bottle shop and buy a case without having to do any work?) -
I was wondering if anyone was going to make an automated system like that - BUT 10 L.... Why not 23 L, just a bit more plastic and steel, same components...
There are storage systems with the beerflo ....or what ever is called, quite clever.. More than 10 L would be OK...
Tapking was dropped because it all seemed a good idea the time until you did the math and not worth it....
cheers

I think that the reason 10 litre was chosen was purely for size of the unit, a 20 litre would not add any more than a couple of dollars to the cost, can the 10 litre storage containers be bought as extras, I would imagine they would be available, maybe not everyone can drink 10 litres in a sitting.

I think there are large storage bottles you can buy that fit in the beer dispenser (A little tapking like) (that apparently you dont need CO2)
and you could bottle if you want.. They have called the malts and yeast by numbers and letters.... ie recipes will 2x E, + 1x A + Y3...
The combinations will be huge, but it will mean people will use a wheat yeast with a larger recipe etc..etc... Could be interesting results...

The only concern for anyone buying this set up is, if they flop will the ingredients still be available, would hate to think of anyone spending that coin and after a year or two it becomes worthless.

wide eyed and legless said:
I think that the reason 10 litre was chosen was purely for size of the unit, a 20 litre would not add any more than a couple of dollars to the cost, can the 10 litre storage containers be bought as extras, I would imagine they would be available, maybe not everyone can drink 10 litres in a sitting.
The dispenser uses 5L PET keg/bottles, so one brew fills 2 of the kegs or you can bottle it.

If it works will there be others who supply cheaper ingredients like printer cartridges.

No doubt there will be plenty of room to move in regards to pricing they will be testing the market at the higher end first, could the ingredients be put together by a purchaser of this set up?

wide eyed and legless said:
could the ingredients be put together by a purchaser of this set up?
I don't see why not.
Surely it wouldn't be that hard to adapt different DME based recipes to suit the equipment.
It would certainly be a lot cheaper than buying their kits.

Hops 8 with its zingy orange peel and coriander spices looks interesting....as does hops 7 with its "biscuit malt aromas"

Nothing like brewing the real thing at home with premium ingredients eh?

What is the cost for fresh wort kit would seem to be a cheaper option and if they can put fruit juice in plastic containers without it going off or exploding then why not sell fresh wort in smaller quantities.

Back