Coopers Euro Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrell

Reaction score
hi,

Finally got a temp controller fridge so looking to do my first proper lager. I have the coopers euro kit and also 500gs LDME and packet of BE2. Was hoping to make something refreshing for summer, not too heavy. A couple of questions.

1) is the LDME and BE2 an ok combination for this? or better to just use the BE2 as per the instructions
2) whats a good hop to add - dont want it to overpower as its for summer drinking. maybe 15 to 25 gs of something.
3) if is use the LDME and BE2, will the coopers yeast get through it all?

I'm about to do the same
I'm going to do the following
1x euro lager
1.5kg of extra light malt extract
Hop tea with 10 grams of saaz
Dry hop with 20 grams of saaz

Hallertau is another traditional European hop variety which would suit.

Hi squirrell

One of my early lagers was really very similar. The LDME with BE2 will give you a nice malt forward lager nearly approaching a Marzen style. In terms of hops, I'd think of steeping maybe 10g each of Hallertau and Saaz and adding it to the wort before pitching to get what I think you're after. But, in terms of yeast, I suggest you rehydrate the kit yeast and a sachet of W-34/70 so you can be confident fermenting at around 13 degrees.
Cheers

Edit added: TheBigD beat me to the keyboard, but the poor bugger thinks along the same lines as me! :p

I've been listening on this site for years to those that say " use better yeast - use better yeast - blah - blah - blah..."

At a recent session someone remarked at how much better my beer has been lately compared to say 2-3 years ago.
And while I've been sure I always use good extracts and hops, and never make beer without some sort of grain steeped,
one thing stands out as different - I have stopped using kit yeast.

If you are going to make a proper lager then at least get a Saflager sachet. Most kit sachets are ale yeast anyway, or a combination.
The extra few $ for a better quality yeast sachet is well worth the effort.

+1 for using better yeast.

Not just better yeast, but enough of it. There just aren't enough cells in a lager kit yeast to give a really nice clean flavour - the yeast gets stressed and produces too many esters.

As Robbo mentioned - Try getting the Saflager yeast and rehydrating it.

To best of my knowledge, the yeast in the Euro kit is s-189, a good yeast but you will get better results with W34/70.
Depends on your temp control as well, 189 will work at higher temps than 34/70 without creating too much weird flavours.
Either way a pack of either is not enough on their own, and probably still a little shy together.
Make a starter with s-189 to get to the numbers you want: search for an online calculator or visit Mr.Malty, starters are not difficult and will make a huge difference to your final brew.
Also let the bottled brew sit for 3 months at coolish temps before drinking to get the best results.

Different kit but I've brewed and currently am drinking my Lager.

Recipe:
Coopers Heritage Lager
1kg LDME
200g Carapils
15g of Saaz at 10 min
2 x W34/70 yeast
Fermented at 12 for 10 days then raised to 18 for 4 days then cold crashed for 4 weeks.

Turned out really nice and light as well - 4.3% The Saaz really adds to it as well. Made it for my brothers wedding and everyone loved it.

I know you have a different kit, but if you go along the same lines I can't imagine it going wrong

Lager been at 14 degrees for 1 week. Krausen gone, gravity is 1018. Do I leave for another week. Should I up temperature a bit?

squirrell said:
Lager been at 14 degrees for 1 week. Krausen gone, gravity is 1018. Do I leave for another week. Should I up temperature a bit?
Leave it do its thing, I belive that it is a real lager yeast, I leave mine for up to 6 weeks to ferment out, secondary fermentation can be very slow. Once it reachs FG then you can rasie the temp for a Diacetyl rest

Im doing the 4 week lager ferment for mine 5 days at 12c then slowly raise to 18c for 5 days then slowly reduce down to 4c add finings for a further 5 days then keg and cold condition with gas on for a week.

I also changed my recipe slightly and did a 10 minute hop boil with 10 grams each of saaz and Hallertau then dry hopped the same amount. I fermented using the yeast under the lid with a pack of w34/70 and its tasting great after day 10.

My kids pressed buttons on the fermenter, so my fermenting lager is now at 5 degrees at 10170gravity. I have bumped up the temperature back to 14. Should the lager yeast carry on and do its thing ok?

Yeah it should be fine, if no activity occurs over the next day just give the fermenter a gentle swirl to wake the yeast back and send them back to work.

so after raising temp to 17 degrees, 6 days later the gravity has been 1015 for the last 3 days. seems too high?

squirrell said:
so after raising temp to 17 degrees, 6 days later the gravity has been 1015 for the last 3 days. seems too high?
No. Its fine.

Latest posts

Back