Coopers Euro Lager- Using Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoCrows

Reaction score
I have a Euro Lager can and not really enjoying this lager after drinking hoppy ales.

The hint of sulphur and kit hops are not to my taste, even when allowed to condition , is not for me.

I would like to use it up as an Ale. Ale styles I like are Australian and American.

This would be a good time for an IPA?

What hops are used in the kit ?

And if I hop with (types I have at hand) Cascade, Amarillo, mosaic, simcoe , galaxy ,Columbus will they shine thru or will the bittering of the can work against me?

I usually hop @ 15 minutes , 10 , 5 , flame out/whirlpool.

I have dry malt, dextrose, crystal ,choc malt. Cooper Be1 and 2.

The can bittering won't negate those hops' flavour and aroma, but they will add some bittering of their own. If that's a concern save the higher alpha hops for the last addition.

Forget the choc malt. I like a little crystal in an IPA, but many don't. I'd say go with 200g if the crystal isn't a dark sort.

DME will giver you better balance with the hops than dextrose. You're probably using a dry ale yeast. Notty would dry the brew out a lot. Dextrose also increases dryness. In combination you might get pucker city. I like BRY-97 for AIPAs.

Back