Coopers Diy Kit - Swamp Cooler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
Hi guys,

With the summer months approaching (I use the term "Summer" loosely here in NZ ;) ), the temperature can sometimes exceed 30c or at least in the high 20s. I want to make a swamp cooler for my Coopers DIY kit, but am a little concerned that the added weight of the wet towel will stop the gas from escaping due to there being no airlock.

I've seen a you tube vid where a guy installs an airlock to get around this, but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to. Has anyone else tried the swamp cooler with the new Coopers kit? Does it work ok?

I was going to get a STC-1000 and put the fermenter in the fridge in the garage but it wont fit, and I can't afford to get another fridge/freezer - we already have three and SWMBO would have a fit.

Hi guys,

With the summer months approaching (I use the term "Summer" loosely here in NZ ;) ), the temperature can sometimes exceed 30c or at least in the high 20s. I want to make a swamp cooler for my Coopers DIY kit, but am a little concerned that the added weight of the wet towel will stop the gas from escaping due to there being no airlock.

I've seen a you tube vid where a guy installs an airlock to get around this, but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to. Has anyone else tried the swamp cooler with the new Coopers kit? Does it work ok?

I was going to get a STC-1000 and put the fermenter in the fridge in the garage but it wont fit, and I can't afford to get another fridge/freezer - we already have three and SWMBO would have a fit.

I should take a picture of my setup I assume it's the same as this swamp cooler method. I have my coopers DIY fermenter in a tub of water with a towel around it.

The way I do it, is wrap the towel around the side of the fermenter and then use the lid clips to clip the towel to the handles at the top (not the lid but on the main tub). As you know the lid will just rest on top. This will not hold the lid down, it also does not use the krausen collar.

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah that makes perfect sense. Never thought of using a little clips that way. Wouldn't that leave a small get though between the FV and the lid?

Do you use the stick on thermometer? I hear those things don't hold up well to being constantly wet, guess you could make a little gap in the towel.

Yeah my stick on thermometer is busted. But I don't think it was the towel but being submerged in water.

How do you mean it leaves a gap? The lid rests on the top as normal the towel does not affect it at all, since it is clipped to the handles.

"I should take a picture of my setup I assume it's the same as this swamp cooler method. I have my coopers DIY fermenter in a tub of water with a towel around it.

The way I do it, is wrap the towel around the side of the fermenter and then use the lid clips to clip the towel to the handles at the top (not the lid but on the main tub). As you know the lid will just rest on top. This will not hold the lid down, it also does not use the krausen collar.

Hope that makes sense."

cotton t-shirt slips over and down, water wicks up; frozen water bottles (w/salt) if more cooling required; roll bottom of shirt up out of water when/if not needed; constant temp better than fluctuating,
eg fo ales I was always happy with a steady 20c (or 18 or 19) rather than varying between 18 to 20, particularly if the yeast strain is prone to 'going sleep' when temps begin to drop

Dedicated fermenting fridge with temp controller makes it so easy...

Cheers

cotton t-shirt slips over and down, water wicks up; frozen water bottles (w/salt) if more cooling required; roll bottom of shirt up out of water when/if not needed; constant temp better than fluctuating,
eg fo ales I was always happy with a steady 20c (or 18 or 19) rather than varying between 18 to 20, particularly if the yeast strain is prone to 'going sleep' when temps begin to drop

Dedicated fermenting fridge with temp controller makes it so easy...

Cheers

Not sure if you're familiar with the new kit, but it doesn't have an airlock to allow the gas to escape, the lid just sits on top and kind of "burps" the gasses out that way. I'm familiar with how to make a swamp cooler, just concerned that the gas won't be able to get out if the lid is pushed shut with the added weight.

I like Blitzer's suggestion but am concerned this will leave a small gap between the lid and the fermenter allowing nasties to get in.

How do you mean it leaves a gap? The lid rests on the top as normal the towel does not affect it at all, since it is clipped to the handles.

Not too sure really, just trying to picture it and seem to have an image in my mind where there is a gap. That could be if using the krausen sleeve though which you said you don't use.

Just try a dry run bosher and you will see what I mean. As the lid slips in between the handle of the main tub and not over.

Hey Bosher, any idea what happens if it doesn't burp? I may have not even listened to myself and clipped the towel on incorrectly to hold the lid down :(

Hey Bosher, any idea what happens if it doesn't burp?

Will most likely cause an almighty explosion the likes of which has not been seen since those dreaded days in Japan in the 40's......

Well it didn't explode, so I'm guessing if it's not airtight even with the lid locked down.

Wouldn't cause any issue to the beer?

Back