Coopers devils half porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joiner8

Reaction score
Has anybody brewed this kit, I've just received it and wondering if I should brew as per instructions or add anything to it, to improve it

Hi mate thanks for the advice, I've been trying to access the Web page but I'm having issues, would it be possible for you to copy and paste some recipes from the website and send then to me

https://www.diybeer.com/au/brewing-extracts.html or google coopers club, top of page is a link to "recipes" it's alphabetical or there's a tab where you can search.
Join their club, it's free and you get a discount, plus free shipping (conditions apply)
All grain is probably the gold standard (open for debate) but you need the time, the inclination, the equipment, and not least the expertise/experience to fully utilise it, extracts take all the hard work out of it, if you can't be bothered faffing around with a freezer full of different hops, specialty malts, and dried yeasts, check out their "voyage" kits, a bit more expensive but you wont end up paying for and then having to store partial bags of hops and malts.

This is from their site, the description is a bit a bit wanky but it makes a very "passable" (that's pommie for pretty damned good) porter, depending on what you like to drink of course, whatever your tipple is do check out their recipes, I've found they make a very good step up from the kit & kilo that so many start off with when getting into the hobby, ignore their "intermediate" and "advanced" advice, a 5yr old could do any of their recipes, maybe they want to keep pushing kit n kilo, who knows?
They also assume that everyone bottles and push their pet bottles, that's a whole different discussion. Maybe they're just stuck in the 90's. I do bottle, some in champagne, some in long necks, and some in pet, although the vast majority goes into kegs, so I'm not anti bottle, just perplexed that bottling is all they seem to recognise.

Anyway:

DEVIL'S BREW PORTER
Be seduced by the dark prince. Rich, full-bodied and complex, the greatest trick you’ll ever pull is making this porter exist. Smooth and malty with a wicked finish of chocolate and coffee, this porter’s soul is as dark as it is heavy. The Devil’s Brew will warm the coldest winter chill but still drinks well all year round. You’ll find a better porter when hell freezes over.

INGREDIENTS
1 x 1.7kg Thomas Coopers Devil’s Half Ruby Porter
1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract
2 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
1 x 300g Chocolate Malt
1 x 11g Lallemand Nottingham Dry Yeast

The Day Before: Line a pot (at least 4 litres) with a mesh cleaning cloth (pulled straight from the pack), then add the cracked Chocolate Malt and 2 litres of cold water. Fit the lid and sit in the fridge for 24hrs.

Brew Day: Remove from the fridge then gather up the corners of the mesh cloth and lift, allowing the liquid to drain from the Chocolate Malt back into the pot. Place the strained liquid onto the stove top, bring to the boil then remove from the heat. Cool the liquid by placing pot in a bath of cold water for about 15mins.

Add the Devil's Half Ruby Porter, Amber Malt Extract, Light Dry Malts and the cooled liquid into the fermenting vessel; then stir to dissolve (don’t be concerned if lumps of malt extract persist as they will dissolve over a few hours). Top up with cold tap water to the 20 litre mark, stir thoroughly. Check the temperature and top up to the 23 litre mark with warm or cool water (refrigerated if necessary) to start the brew at 18C- 20C.

Sprinkle the Nottingham yeast and brew can yeast then fit the lid.

BREW Ferment temperature should be as close to 20C as possible.

Fermentation has finished once the specific gravity reading is stable over 2 days. Expected readings should finish within the range of 1010 - 1014.

BOTTLE Gently fill clean PET bottles to about 3cm from the top. Add 2 carbonation drops per bottle and secure the caps (use only one carbonation drop for bottles intended to be stored for a longer period). Store the bottles upright in a location out of direct sunlight at or above 18C.

ENJOY After at least two weeks, check for sufficient carbonation by squeezing the PET bottles. When ready to drink, chill the bottles upright. Serve at or slightly warmer than fridge temperature. The chilled beer may be poured into clean glassware, leaving the sediment behind. Expect the alcohol content to be approximately 6.2% ABV

I did a can of this a few years ago, turned out very tasty! :drinkingbeer:

Your first post is key to the question.
Will a can n kilo of sugar make an alcoholic drink? Most definitely, will it be drinkable? Probably, can you improve it? Yes, but not for free.
Ever wondered why a can of beer costs $20+ and the can next to it costs $4, many reasons for it but one of them is the ingredients.
If you're happy with VB, XXX, Great Northern, whatever mega brew, then by all means just brew the can.
It all depends on what you hope to achieve, many people get into the hobby just for cheap booze, and are happy with that, some progress to craft beer, others got into the hobby because they were unhappy with what was available at that time, it's different now with all the craft beer available, but the price can be a problem. I love Fat Santa, but at $28 per 440ml can that's $1,204.00 for a 19L keg, I make a pretty good clone, comes in at a bit over $100 per keg, sure I could get a Woolies special and knock out 19L for $9.50, or a standard Coopers for $20, like I said it all depends on what you're after.
At the very least use LDME not sugar and add the Nottingham yeast.

Latest posts

Back