Coopers Celebration Ale/british Pale Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSm

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a friend who has been brewing for a litle while now and i have recently got him into steeping spec grains and using liquid malt extracts as sugars also.

He is after a recipe that can taste something like the coopers celebration ale or a good british pale ale recipe.

He is not into full extract recipes as of yet so i thought i would ask if anyone knows of any good kit recipes for this kind of ale.

I was gonna sugest starting with a coopers sparkling ale kit but what does everybody else think??

He brews 46L batches, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers jake.

Hey all,

I have a friend who has been brewing for a litle while now and i have recently got him into steeping spec grains and using liquid malt extracts as sugars also.

He is after a recipe that can taste something like the coopers celebration ale or a good british pale ale recipe.

He is not into full extract recipes as of yet so i thought i would ask if anyone knows of any good kit recipes for this kind of ale.

I was gonna sugest starting with a coopers sparkling ale kit but what does everybody else think??

He brews 46L batches, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers jake.

Jake, go on to the coopers website as there beer of the month is a celebration ale recipe.

Includes a tankard from Coopers website.

he had a look at the website but steared away from their recipe as they sugested using ingredients that doesnt seem lik it will make a british pale ale...for example Coopers Draught Kit and an american style yeast.

we came up with our own recipe for him and it seems it will be a cracker.

thanks for your help corey.

Any chance of sharing the recipe?

This is what i came up with for him,

*1.7 kg Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale Kit
*1.5 kg Amber Malt Extract
*500g Light Dry Mlt
*250g Dextrose
*200g Munich Grain
*200g Medium Crystal Grain
*200g My own Toasted Pearl Barley ( or use biscuit grain)
*Safale S-04

*12g Goldings @ 20 mins
*12g Fuggles @ 10 mins
*6g Goldings @ 5 mins
*6g Fuggles @ 5 mins
*6g Goldings @ 0 mins, leave to steap for 15 mins
*6g Fuggles @ 0 mins, leave to steap for 15 mins

Dry hop If you Like, i wouldnt as you dont really need the over the top floral notes in this beer. you will be looking for the caramely grainy tones and full body.

let me know if you choose to brew this and how it goes.

cheers jake.

Thanks for that Jake. Great minds think alike (or is it fools seldom differ..) I looked at the recipe on the Coopers site and thought that the traditional draught can and US-05 was a strange choice. My first impression was to use the sparkling kit or maybe the APA kit and s-04. I haven't done a K&K for a while but the sparkling can was always my favourite.

I might give your recipe a go in about a month when I clear my backlog of FWKs that I have sitting around.

Just curious, does FWK stand for fresh wort kit??

This is what i came up with for him,

*1.7 kg Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale Kit
*1.5 kg Amber Malt Extract
*500g Light Dry Mlt
*250g Dextrose
*200g Munich Grain
*200g Medium Crystal Grain
*200g My own Toasted Pearl Barley ( or use biscuit grain)
*Safale S-04

*12g Goldings @ 20 mins
*12g Fuggles @ 10 mins
*6g Goldings @ 5 mins
*6g Fuggles @ 5 mins
*6g Goldings @ 0 mins, leave to steap for 15 mins
*6g Fuggles @ 0 mins, leave to steap for 15 mins

Dry hop If you Like, i wouldnt as you dont really need the over the top floral notes in this beer. you will be looking for the caramely grainy tones and full body.

let me know if you choose to brew this and how it goes.

cheers jake.
Can everyone let me know what they think of this recipe as i may do this next after my becks clone.

cheers jake.

Can everyone let me know what they think of this recipe as i may do this next after my becks clone.

cheers jake.

Munich and Biscuit grains require mashing rather than steeping or is that what you plan to do.

Munich and Biscuit grains require mashing rather than steeping or is that what you plan to do.

hi ianh,

thanks for your advice, though my biscuit grain is pearl barley that i toast my self and this just breaks down during steaping (this stuff is usually purchased for making soups or casseroles i use it all the time as i am a chef),
and the munich grain i buy is freshly cracked from the LHBS and requires no mashing.

i do understand where your coming from with the biscuit though, as i have researched that recently. the barley just gives some biscuity characters without the need for a mash and only costs $1.30 for 500g from coles. lol

cheers jake.

and the munich grain i buy is freshly cracked from the LHBS and requires no mashing.
"Requires" as in "required by law"?

Then, yeah, you're probably right. But munich is a base malt not a spec malt.

At the end of the day, steeping base malt is essentially the same thing as mashing but please do try not to talk complete crap.

"Requires" as in "required by law"?

Then, yeah, you're probably right. But munich is a base malt not a spec malt.

At the end of the day, steeping base malt is essentially the same thing as mashing but please do try not to talk complete crap.

please BUM dont come into my topic and post that i am talking crap, i dont know you, knor have we ever dissagreed on anything that i am aware of.

i do do partial mashes for all my brews but not to use the grains as a base malt, just to extract colour and aroma as i also use extract malt tins and am not an all grain brewer ( YET ), this is why i was simply stating that they/i do not require them to be mashed, but i do anyway.

the most common munich grain used is the german munich and is a base malt for all grain brewers an does need to be mashed for its high diastatic power to self convert the sugars. the darker kilned munich grain is a type of spec grain and should be mashed with other types of grain, such as 2 row to ensure propper conversion as it has lower diastatic power to self convert.

However, both of these types of munich grain can be used without mashing to release colour and aroma, this is why it helps for me to get them freshly cracked as i am not worried if they self convert their sugars or not.

thanks for your advice on helping me with this recipe, i dont know how i could've ever finished it without your input.

cheers jake.

Back