Coopers Canadian Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
Hi all,
Who can say wether this beer is a lager or an ale?
Any one made this up as a kit ?

cheers

look up unibrou, better still buy some of their beers from a good bottleshop

Jovial Monk

JM
i had a look at their site but i couldnt find any info on Coopers Canadian Blond. Looks like I'll have to mail Coopers and ask them.
I did notice the beers you can have as "aperitifs, digestives" and even a "beer" you can have on the rocks :blink:

I made one when they first came out , thought is was tasteless , but give it a go , still will be a drinkable beer, dry hopping would help

If you call Coopers Lager kit a lager then yes it's like that

johnno if a beer is alger or and ale depends on the yeast you ise so if use a lager yeast then its a lager and vice verser and most of the coopers yeast or ale yeast

Well, can you find any Unibroue beers? I reckon Coopers got the idea for the Canadian Blonde from that

3 tins of that, a kilo dry extract, half a kilo candi sugar and 20g hallertau or Saaz boiled for 15 mins might make a decent beer

Jovial Monk

Jazman said:
johnno if a beer is alger or and ale depends on the yeast you ise so if use a lager yeast then its a lager and vice verser and most of the coopers yeast or ale yeast

If you call Coopers Lager kit a lager then yes it's like that
My bro in law made one of these some time ago.
He brewed it in the ale tradition(on the back verandah at whatever temperature the day or night was)
kegged and tasted it after two weeks VERY ORDINARY
left it sit in the fridge in the keg for a couple of months while he was away tried it when he came home MUCH IMPROVED.
I agree with Batz it needs hops and brewed using malt for an improvement.

Jazzman, not quite correct

an ale yeast will only work at ale temps, so that defines an ale. A lager yeast can be used at ale temps to make an ale (e.g. Cream ale, california Common etc) A lager yeast used at lager temps makes a lager, though that also needs some extended cold lagering to be a 'real' lager.

Chaps, do not get excited about whether a kit or Pack is called "lager' or "ale", half the time you just make up a name for it. Decide for yourself what yeast and ferment temp you want to use.

Jovial Monk
who just this morning racked 35L of Bock, attenuated from 1092 to 1020 (good, eh?) and now has the bocks sitting at -1C where they will stay till May at least

Jovial_Monk said:
Jovial Monk
who just this morning racked 35L of Bock, attenuated from 1092 to 1020 (good, eh?) and now has the bocks sitting at -1C where they will stay till May at least
At -1 does the water content begin to freeze? Are you making an Eisbock?

Or am I way off? :)

so if i put one on in summer i can use an ale yeast and a lager yeast for the winter. Just condition it more.

cheers

yep that what i do ales when it is not too hot then winter i do larger when i brew around 12 deg

Coopers Canadian Blonde

i used this beer as the basis for my Merry Beery.

It is very light - similar to Carona.
Use 1.5 kg of Extra light or Light LME.
Dry hop with Saaz or Cascade.

Hope this helps

Johnno,

I have made a couple of Canadian Blonde kits. First one brewed with a kilo of LME and no finishing hops. It was clean, crisp, lovely pale straw colour but fairly "neutral" (bland) tasting, but good when served cold on a hot day. It was my 10th ever brew and was one of my best at the time.

The second one I used as a base for an LCPA copy, trying to achieve a lighter colour. That recipe had some steeped crystal, dried and liquid extract and lots of extra hops (cascade and centennial) so it was a totally changed beer from my first attempt. Despite the steeped crystal, the beer came out nice and pale.

ok thanks for all the replys everyone.
after reading comments like "similar to corona" and "fairly neutral bland tasting"
I might wait a while till i try this one.
got all those new Coopers kits to work through and a Coops IPA.

cheers

Back