Coopers Black'n'tan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronJ

Reaction score
I threw this together last night. It was meant to be a really quick and simple BlacknTan, while I wait for a Stout and Pilsner to come of age, but I got carried away (lots of little leftovers to use up from previous brews). No idea what itll be like but thought Id post anyway and report back later.

1x can Coopers Stout
1x can Coopers Lager
Sugars:
-250g Glucose
-250g Corn Syrup
-100g Lactose
100g Roasted Barley grain - steeped in boiled water for 30min.
cup coffee beans finely ground added to grain
2 x packets of hydrated Coopers Brewers yeast (came with the cans)
Topped up to 22L
OG = 1.060

The wort was VERY bitter, so Im a little worried about the coffee having been so finely ground (i.e. may have released too much of the coffee bitterness). Maybe I should have just crushed the beans? Plus, I suppose using 2x cans and the grain will have all added to the bitterness quite significantly.

Anyway, its taken off. 14 hours later and at 20C its got a huge head of froth and is releasing from the air lock every 3-4 seconds.

Fingers crossed! :huh:

AJ

AaronJ said:
The wort was VERY bitter, so Im a little worried about the coffee having been so finely ground (i.e. may have released too much of the coffee bitterness). Maybe I should have just crushed the beans? Plus, I suppose using 2x cans and the grain will have all added to the bitterness quite significantly.
[post="58780"][/post]​

Don't forget you've also got a double lot of isohop from the kits.

Ive done this but with no coffee, no grains and 1kg of DME.
I still have some actually.. Its still quite bitter and is still very stouty. The lager kit I can hardly taste at all. If I was to do this again I would only use half the stout can.....

Other than that its a very good drop.. Mine blew through the airlock within 2 days. Covered my Laudry with a nice brown foamy liquid!!

Tell me if this sounds odd..........

- Brew was down on the afternoon of 12/05 with OG of 1.060.
- All airlock activity had stopped by the morning of 14/05 and SG was 1.021
- SG has not changed since, so I skipped going to secondary and just bottled today (17/05).

So, can a brew go through fermentation in under 48 hours??? I did say in my first post I wanted a quick and easy brew but........... :(

Either way, it tasted pretty good upon bottling. Strong coffee taste.

Ill give it a fortnight before trying and keep the fingers crossed.

AJ.

Latest posts

Back