Coopers Bavarian Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wassa

Reaction score
Am thinking of putting down a Coopers Bavarian lager, with some Crystal Grain and using Wyest German lager yeast (can't think of the number).

Am unsure of whether to use some Hallertau or Tetnanger finishing hops.

What's the opinion? Does the brew need extra hopping and will the yeast be the best for the brew or should I just go with Saflager??

saflager will work good with this, but as always a good liquid yeast will do better, I wouldent add the crystal at all, for me i would just add a kg or so of good light or extra light malt extract, As far as the hops

Hallertau is the winner, boil your kit and as much water as you can with 20 odd gm of halleratau for 30 mins and then another addition at 10 and a little more at the end, if you want, or drop the 10 min and put another 20 odd gm at flame out

Wassa said:
Am thinking of putting down a Coopers Bavarian lager, with some Crystal Grain and using Wyest German lager yeast (can't think of the number).

Am unsure of whether to use some Hallertau or Tetnanger finishing hops.

What's the opinion? Does the brew need extra hopping and will the yeast be the best for the brew or should I just go with Saflager??
[post="66414"][/post]​

G'day Wassa...
The Coopers Bavarian Lager kit was one of my favourites. I had a simple recipe that I posted in the Recipes section of this forum, but it's not accessible at present, so I'll try to recall from memory (er, ancient memory! ;) )...

I think it was along the lines of 1 x Coopers Bav Lager Kit, 1Kg of Coopers Light Malt Extract (Liquid) and 250g of Thomas Fawcett Pale Crystal steeped (or use 250g of Weyermann Caramunich to be more true to style) in about 5L of cold water, raising it slowly to 70C and moving the steeped crystal about in a grain bag.

I topped up to a 10L stockpot boil with the steeped crystal extract and LME, and boiled three Hallertau plugs for 20 mins. Poured and gently stirred in the kit at flameout to preserve the aroma and flavours in the kit and then chilled in an ice bath. It made around 21L of Lager at a reasonable gravity (around 1.043 or so).

As for yeast, I would recommend either re-hydrated W34/70 dry yeast (Saflager) or Wyeast 2124 (same stuff). It's pretty robust and handles relatively warm primary fermentation temps (up to 14C) but if you can ferment at about 11C then thats even better.

Since you didn't mention any mashing, you might also want to add some Carapils to the grain bag - about 200g should do. It's the grain equivalent to maltodextrin and will improve the body of the beer and assist in head formation and retention. Carapils can be either mashed or steeped...

Cheers,
TL

I made a 2.5 can brew using one of these a few months back.
Used a small amount of noble hop in a boil with some light malt extract.

The yeast supplied is a lager yeast but I used re-hydrated W34/70 dry yeast (Saflager)

@ 10c for 2 wks.

It was spot on :chug: according to my drinkin mates and I will be doing another soon.

Another vote for a good does of hallertau in this kit. Its rather nice.

I've got a bavarian kit on at the moment, and used the standard coopers stuff just to see how the kit itself works out. Made 21Lt and added the brew enhancer 1 and 750gm of LME

Fermented at around 14-15C for 4 days, stopped for another 4 or so now bubbling away again now that its a tad warmer. The yeast seems to be an active one (and friggin smelly like rotten eggs) but a taste thus far doesnt seem too bad. Gravity is at 1023 still so should be a few more days in in yet

Latest posts

Back