Coopers Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taleismin

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just got a Coopers Australian Pale Ale going about an hour ago. Firstly the brew enhancer was rock solid though it did dissolve. Secondly the brew now is a very dark colour. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for this Coopers Apa as I am very new to brewing.

I had a similar experience - I had to mash the enhancer with a spoon against the side of the tub to break it up. (Have resolved to dissolve in boiling water and add the solution next time - or add BEFORE the kit.)

As for colour - mine was lighter but has now darkened. I'm hoping the beer gods will make this all better if I step back and leave it alone.

I presume you're just using the Coopers tin, the brew enhancer and the yeast that came under the lid? Nothing else?

How far away was the can's expiry date? It is very common for tins close or over their expiry to darken up a bit...I did a Coopers Pale Ale once which was out of date a few months (it was an experiment haha) and it was super dark!

Relax and let it brew, the most important thing I have learnt in homebrewing

You think brew enhancer is bad, try using all DME. Now that was a bitch...only did it once though I think.

Had this kind of thing before, found it easy to use my food processor to mix the brew enhancer / DME / whatever powdered stuff I was using, just bung it all in and add freshly boiled water a cup at a time, if you're doing more than 500g (or whatever suits the size of your food processor) do it in two batches.

There are two great reasons to do this, firstly you get a perfect mix every time and secondly you incorporate a buttload of oxygen into the mix which helps your yeast get off to a flying start.

Does mean more cleaning though...

The colour of the goo darkens if the storage temperature is too high.

It's out of your control as to what happens from manufacturer to the retailer, but once it's yours, keep it in the fridge if possible, until you're ready to use it.

ro55c0 said:
Had this kind of thing before, found it easy to use my food processor to mix the brew enhancer / DME / whatever powdered stuff I was using, just bung it all in and add freshly boiled water a cup at a time, if you're doing more than 500g (or whatever suits the size of your food processor) do it in two batches.
Excellent tip, thanks. How much do you lose in terms of residue?

And thanks for the storage tip, Black Devil Dog.

No loss in residue, I just pour the mix into my fermenter then add a few more cups of water to the food processor and wazz it up a bit to get any remainging sugar in the mix and add that to the fermenter too.

Thanks guys, got home today and it seems to have come good today. She's looking normal again and can was not out of date

I want to ask if you sterilise and santise the food processor first but I am too afraid of where the conversation would go.

Latest posts

Back