Cooling A Mobile Keg (going To The Park)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
looking for ideas around keeping my keg cool while going to the park...
was going to make the mini wheelie bin setup

any used that ice-pack kind of stuff to wrap the keg? (tech-ni ice)
then i could just chuck it back in the freezer for the next day / week?

i know i could just buy ice but was looking for something more sustainable as we are always down the park...

other ideas would be welcomed :)

looking for ideas around keeping my keg cool while going to the park...
was going to make the mini wheelie bin setup

any used that ice-pack kind of stuff to wrap the keg? (tech-ni ice)
then i could just chuck it back in the freezer for the next day / week?

i know i could just buy ice but was looking for something more sustainable as we are always down the park...

other ideas would be welcomed :)

You mention a mini-wheelie-bin so I will assume you refer to a party-keg.
I mucked around with techni-ice a few times with my 9 litre keg and found it was a pita. The cells can split and it takes time to arrange it around the keg.
The night before, I transfer from a large keg to the party-keg and drop the temp of the keg down to 2C over night. I place my keg inside a 20 litre bucket and surround it with about 2kg ice. I use to wrap a camping mat around the bucket for insulation but find it unnecessary. The whole thing fits in a wheelie cricket kit bag.
The beer remains chilled. Even when left over night I have found ice in the bucket. Keep it simple and you will use it many times.

at the mo it will be 19L as i dont have any small kegs...

thats a pain the cells split on the techni ice

our street (those with kids)often ends up in the park for mini bbq's etc
they are used to seeing my wandering down the road with a pint of beer but thought i could take it to the next level :)

19L kegs fit perfectly in my wheelie Esky, thinking of converting it & putting a tap in the side for the exact same reason (park, beach, camping etc)

6119119_0_9999_lge_v1_m56577569830496029.jpg

at the mo it will be 19L as i dont have any small kegs...

thats a pain the cells split on the techni ice

our street (those with kids)often ends up in the park for mini bbq's etc
they are used to seeing my wandering down the road with a pint of beer but thought i could take it to the next level :)

Then just chuck it in your wheelie bin with some ice. Should be fine for many hours..

Mine

imag0077j.th.jpg
[/URL]

I got one of these on special from Bunnings for $30 IIRC.

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

In summer I either pour in a bag of ice, or put a 1.25L PET frozen bottle of water in next to it.

Move to Melbourne. No need for ice at all. :)

your lucky to get to the park in winter there.... but i do miss the food markets of Melbourne

the issue with bags of ice is i am often down the park 4->5 arvos a week and it might get $$$

:party: a few local dads bring their kids and a few beers as well most days :party:

gotta go to green shed in the morning might look around :)

thanks for the input

Back