Cool Siphoning Gadget

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBeerBoss

Reaction score
Hey guys i practised how the hole brew would go last night the most important to me was the siphone as my hose doesnt fit the tap very snug and it loocked dodgy to me. Anyways i tried it the tap way and it leaked to much and dont want to leak beer not only that because its not airtight beer might be introduced to oxygen whilst flowing through tube from tap. Anyways I sucked one end till the liquid flowed. Then i thought that is contaminanting the beer. Yuk fish beer.

Anyways point being if you guys are from Australia Western Australia perferably go to your Repco store and buy a Super Siphon it is great it works but having this valve thing on one side that u puch up and down till u draw liquid. It even has a home brew picture on the packet. ANyways worth the $10 better than using the tap and better than sucking. Cheaper than using an outboard fuel pump to im guessing .
Worth the purchase

ADMIN EDIT : Language.

I use a small piece of hard plastic tubing that fits inside both the racking tube and the tap of my fermenter. Then just rely on gravity to transfer.

Much cleaner than other siphoning methods and gadgets...though i have heard of the thing you are talking about... me and a mate used it once in his car - small problem was that when we pulled the siphon out of the petrol tank, the end bit didn't come with it!

How do you plan to control where the receiving end of the tube collects from? If you hang it in the trub you'll end up with beer that tastes worse than your [edited language reference deleted].

If you can get a small piece of copper tubing that will fit either inside or outside the plastic tubing, bend it into a 'u' shape and attach to the fermenter end of your tube. This should ensure you will take beer from above the trub.

:lol:
Stop it PM! I think my sides are splitting!

Oh shit! :blink:

;)

As i see it you have 2 choices:

Buy 1 metre of 1/2 inch food grade hose - this fits over the tap spout - no spilling beer KISS principle.

Buy the plastic tube or use a piece of !/2 inch tube - better to just buy 1m of it - to go over the spout and over the length of tube you have allready bought.

Note:
1/ it is not worth the risk of stiring up the yeast trub.

2/ You will need to goto the Hardware stoe to buy another metre of 1/2 inch - 12mm tubing and the in-line irrigation filter to make my pre-keg/bottling filter to keep the hop pellets out after you have dry hopped.

I bottled a batch of Fresh Wort APA last night that I'd dry hopped with 15g of Cascade pellets in secondary. Not the slightest trace of hops in the bottling bucket. It was in secondary for a good 2 weeks, so the hop residue had all settled into a nice thin layer on the bottom of the fermenter. I wonder how much hopping I'd have to do to have any particles left in suspension?

PM

This is/was usually the case with my beer.
After 2 weeks in the secondary the hop pellests settled out of suspension.
Hopever, this started to not happen - consequently i made my pre-keg filter.

I now use this religously. cheap insurance for kepping the hop pellets out.
The hop particles dont affect the beer just spoil the look.

GMK
do you use an irrigation filter as well?
otherwise what did you make ?
Cheers Batz

i t works well i have one too even with hop plugs

Back