Cool - Cold Climate Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Brewer

Reaction score
Hi all, i realise that the heating and cooling options discussions has most likley been done to death, anyway...........

I have been scratching my head as to what is the best option to keep my ales bubbling away in the chilly winter months in Central Australia - heat lamp, heat belt, heat emmiter and other stuff used to reptiles warm, the list goes on ..........

So i thought who needs to deal with the cold also - the Brits - so i started looking and found that a lot of people were talking about and using electric heat tubes.

IMAG0058.jpg

From what i can gather they are safe and have a varied range of uses - and fermenting beer being an unintended one i imagine

After a quick look i found this Electric tube heater - but can only find a 1.3m version which is to big - i am in the process of contacting the supplier to see if they sell others.

My question - has anyone used these before and if so what can you report and where did you get them. The chat from our British Homebrewing peer is very posative.

Thanks in advance DB

That looks like you'd have to be pretty onto it with cleaning. Would probably be good for yeasts that need to be roused though.

Hi all, i realise that the heating and cooling options discussions has most likley been done to death, anyway...........

I have been scratching my head as to what is the best option to keep my ales bubbling away in the chilly winter months in Central Australia - heat lamp, heat belt, heat emmiter and other stuff used to reptiles warm, the list goes on ..........

So i thought who needs to deal with the cold also - the Brits - so i started looking and found that a lot of people were talking about and using electric heat tubes.

IMAG0058.jpg

From what i can gather they are safe and have a varied range of uses - and fermenting beer being an unintended one i imagine

After a quick look i found this Electric tube heater - but can only find a 1.3m version which is to big - i am in the process of contacting the supplier to see if they sell others.

My question - has anyone used these before and if so what can you report and where did you get them. The chat from our British Homebrewing peer is very posative.

Thanks in advance DB

That looks like you'd have to be pretty onto it with cleaning. Would probably be good for yeasts that need to be roused though.

Ekul, my understanding is that it just hangs there and emits heat, a bit like a heated towel rail, no wort passing through - no cleaning required.I havent gone into the workings of it, but i reakon it would be the safest way to heat a Brew Cupboard in Winter given they are commonly used in greenhouses.

DB

G'day mate

I brew in southern Tasmania all year round in my shed using an immersion aquarium heater. It holds fermenting temps really well and I don't find them hard to clean at all.

Have a look for wadrobe heaters, we used to sell them in a lighting shop I worked in. I think bun ings might have them...

http://www.brettpro.co.nz/specifications.html

edit: added link

Thats for that SB - i will widen my search to include wardrobe heaters. We dont have a Bunnings in Alice Springs at the moment - although they have purchased a block to build on. But im sure Big O or Mitre 10 can assist.

Cheers,

DB

Latest posts

Back