cooked my brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974Alby

Reaction score
Found out today that my STC1000 temp probe had come unstuck and somehow came to be outside the fermenting fridge :blink: ...so with a few cool days and nights, my heat belt has been cranking away 24 hrs a day for the last week...dunno what the temp was in the fermenter as I didnt think to take a measurement when I discovered the disaster,,,but it felt bloody warm to touch...I reckon at least 35C+. I wonder how Us05 will respond to such abuse?...Im guessing this one's destined for the lawn :icon_vomit:

What do you all use to secure the STC1000 temp probe to the fermenter?

i just keep mine under a sponge sticky taped to the side of the FV. works pretty well as the sponge blocks out the ambient temp when i open the fridge so the fridge or heater doesn't click on right away.

I have my fermenter sitting on top of a bit of stubbie cooler with the probe sandwiched between the two.

I used to have it stuck to the side but every so often would find that my methods of side-sticking had failed me, so have just sat it on top ever since.

mine was under a bit of camping mat and stuck to the side with duct tape...on this occassion I couldnt find the duct and used electrical tape...never again!!! I might bottle a couple anyway just to see what the result was...but Im expecting it to taste like crud.

Mines under a folded up rag and is taped to the side with about 20cm of electrical tape, haven't had an issue so far with it falling off.

I run cable ties around my fermenter then jam a stubbie holder thats been cut in half under cable tie and jam temp probe in between fermenter and stubbie holder

doon said:
I run cable ties around my fermenter then jam a stubbie holder thats been cut in half under cable tie and jam temp probe in between fermenter and stubbie holder
Mines the same as this, except I use a bungee cord instead of cable ties.

Yeah, same here. Ockie straps all the way baby. I don't trust any kind of tape to hold inside a fridge.

Temp Probe.jpgThis is what I use, its a couple of pieces of camping mat and the adjustable strap I bought at Bunnings.

if you're tight on cash i've also heard of people using old boxer shorts elastic!

OP

I wouldn't write it off just yet..

If kegging, there is a chance some keg hoping my bring it back to life. Also, if kegging you may be able to 'blend' it with another tap and not 'waste' the brew....

Taste it and see.

If bottling - well, good luck.

Let us know what you do.

Cocko said:
And here I was trying to help someone..
Sorry, mate! Trying not to derail OP's thread anymore from now. Promise.

Agree with Cocko- keg hoping could salvage it and hide some off flavours (if any).

I also just tape some black foam from the inside of a protective case. The tape I use is a fibre glass tape from HK which is my other hobby. Seems to work well. I dont have a heat mat in mine either so no chance of it getting too hot in there.

I just tape a piece of foam, folded in half to double its thickness, over the temp probe on to the FV, and then get more wider tape and do a cross type taping over the whole lot. It always holds well, it's pretty heavy duty tape. It's rather a bitch to remove it come bottling time actually so I don't think I'm in any danger of it falling out of the fridge. Lol

Back