Converting Old Bbq To Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobboMC

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience at converting a BBQ to use for brewing?

I'm currently doing 5 to 8 litre boils and 1.5 kg mini-mash,
and SWMBO has made it quite clear that the aromas I'm producing
are not acceptable inside the house.

The BBQ is under cover and has supply of electricity and bottled gas,
and has 4 straight burners, and removable hotplates.

Should I try and convert it with a round gas burner or just plonk my
boil pot on top after removing the hotplate?

Yes, I'm going to need cooling water but the laundry is not too far away
and the garden hose is long enough.

Manticle used wood and a webber for his first I think. It was really fun reading through his posts.

Does anyone have any experience at converting a BBQ to use for brewing?

I'm currently doing 5 to 8 litre boils and 1.5 kg mini-mash,
and SWMBO has made it quite clear that the aromas I'm producing

The BBQ is under cover and has supply of electricity and bottled gas,
and has 4 straight burners, and removable hotplates.

Should I try and convert it with a round gas burner or just plonk my
boil pot on top after removing the hotplate?

Yes, I'm going to need cooling water but the laundry is not too far away
and the garden hose is long enough.

Buy a NASA burner or rambo and be done with it.

Hi Robbo, I think what the 'NASA' guys are trying to say (which may not be obvious to you from their brief responses), is that the heat you'll get off a little blue flame on the barbeque may not give you the grunt you need to bring a large amount of brewing water and wort to the correct temperature in good time. You will spend a lot of time trying to heat up your vessels/pots with a BBQ - this would time better spent brewing. You will also find this process pretty inefficient in terms of the gas you'd use. Ideally you need something that will concerntrate the heat properly onto the bottom of the pot. Many BBQs have long oblong 'burners' and these aren't best suited to pot heating as the heat would get dispersed elsewhere. A wok burner on a BBQ or modifying your BBQ slightly might help, but buying the right item will save you a bit of hassle.

Your options on burners are:

- Hook up an old gas stove outside (I know brewers who still use a stove (indoors) and get award winning beers)
- 3 ring burner (not a great and effective pot heater - available at most Aussie Disposals, but people on AHB use them)
- 4 ring burner (a better pot heater, but quality can vary - (Aussie Disposals and Camp Stores have these)
- Mongolian Burners (23 & 32 jet) - (Favoured by many, some mixed opinions on the lower 23 one, sold in LHBS and via Auscrown)
- Italian Spiral Burners - (The Beerbelly one is the best on the market, mine I got cheap from an Italian winemaking store)
- Nasa & Rambo Burners - (The biggest heat and flame for your buck)
- Prawn cooker flamethrowers (hard to come by and used by commercial fishermen)

Your BBQ will still come in handy if you weld or know someone who does to create a modified brewstand, but like the guys above are saying, you're better off getting the gear you need to get the job done properly. Brewing is a time consuming enough gig as it is, and waiting for a pot to heat on a BBQ would be painful I'd say. The only way you could maybe get a pot to warm fast on a BBQ is if you had a 'hooded' one and you could close the pot in under the hood - thus heating the pot up quickly. But in open air, it would be slow going I'd think.

Hopper.

A wok burner on a BBQ or modifying your BBQ slightly might help, but buying the right item will save you a bit of hassle.

If its anything like the wok burner on my bbq, you will need some decent shielding, drill out the holes and probably boost it with an adjustable reg. After trying to stir fry on it and all i could manage was a stir sizzle, it will be reserved for frypan & saucepan duties in summer. My rambo on the other hand, who needs to goto the local when you have smoky stir frys at home! :beerbang:

another reason to get a rambo burner!

Where is the best place to pick up said Rambo and Nasa Burners for a good price? Is it worth Buying from the US and A?

Where is the best place to pick up said Rambo and Nasa Burners for a good price? Is it worth Buying from the US and A?
asian restaurant supply store or a camping goods store.

anywhere that sells woks for hospitality use should have them.

"The only way you could maybe get a pot to warm fast on a BBQ is if you had a 'hooded' one and you could close the pot in under the hood"

Now there's an idea for bbq top mashing! I happen to have a hood, interesting idea!

"The only way you could maybe get a pot to warm fast on a BBQ is if you had a 'hooded' one and you could close the pot in under the hood"

Now there's an idea for bbq top mashing! I happen to have a hood, interesting idea!

Yeah, just a thought - as I've noticed you get a lot more heat in a BBQ when you close the lid (when I'm cooking food that is, not brewing beer!). Mind you, you'd only be able to heat up a small amount of water - no way an 80-90L pot will fit under a barbie lid! But for smaller boils & partial amounts it just could work.

Hopper.

I needed one real quick (like one hour) and so didn't care how much so bought a NASA from BBQ Galore. Was way too much over the top in price $259 (inc reg) The sponsor have them, but hunting around Sydney you should have no trouble getting something similiar for much cheaper. While US dollar low, it would be interesting to see how much you would save

...and SWMBO has made it quite clear that the aromas I'm producing

Keep doing what you're doing, and get a new SWMBO. Probably cheaper by the sounds of it :p .

Back