Converting kit recipe to AG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Hoping for a bit of recipe advice

While I'm waiting for the final pieces of my BIAB setup to arrive, I've been playing around in BrewMate with some recipes. For my first AG, I want to have a crack at converting the kit recipe for my 'House' Pale Ale to AG.

The kit version is as follows:

1 tin Coopers Australian Pale Ale
600g Light DME
400g Wheat DME
20g Galaxy @ 10 min
20g Galaxy dry hopped
Re-cultured Coopers yeast

The AG version I've come up with is:

Parkes Road Pale Ale (Australian Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 4.6 (EBC): 9.0
Bitterness (IBU): 33.7 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

90.48% Pale Ale Malt
9.52% Wheat Malt

0.5 g/L Pride of Ringwood (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 18°C with Coopers Ale yeast

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Should also mention I do 20L batches and will look to No Chill as well.

Coopers pale ale at 20 litres = 29 IBU, so you would need about 1.3g/L of POR at 60 min to make up 29 IBU (Tinseth) I reckon.

From what I understand wheat malt extract is roughly 50/50 wheat/barley (exact percent depends on who makes it). Your original extract recipe comes out to 1.042 OG, the wheat malt extract makes up about 0.4 points of gravity, I'd say the total wheat should be more like 11% in the final recipe but really 9.5% should be close enough.

1g/L of 13.4% Galaxy at 10 minutes (no chill) = something like 25 IBU on its own.

Have a look at AndrewQLD's Coopers Pale Ale recipe, add some Galaxy later in the boil if you want some flavour and aroma and forget about your kit recipes forever.

slash22000 said:
Coopers pale ale at 20 litres = 29 IBU, so you would need about 1.3g/L of POR at 60 min to make up 29 IBU (Tinseth) I reckon.

From what I understand wheat malt extract is roughly 50/50 wheat/barley (exact percent depends on who makes it). Your original extract recipe comes out to 1.042 OG, the wheat malt extract makes up about 0.4 points of gravity, I'd say the total wheat should be more like 11% in the final recipe but really 9.5% should be close enough.

1g/L of 13.4% Galaxy at 10 minutes (no chill) = something like 25 IBU on its own.
I've got the kit recipe stored in ianh's spreadsheet, which shows the Pale Ale tin coming out around 21 IBU for 20L, and around another 5 IBU for the 10 min addition. Having said that, in BreMate, my converted recipe is only showing about 12 IBU for the POR addition, but is showing 21 IBU for the 10 min Galaxy addition. I assume the fact I only do a 2L boil in the kit version is affecting the IBU contribution from the Galaxy.

If I bump the POR up to 17g I get around 21 IBU, but to get down to 5 IBU I'd have to drop the Galaxy 10min addition to 5g, which just doesn't seem enough for me. If I drop to 10g I get about 10-11 IBU from it, which is fine. It shows an extra 5 IBU's from the kit version, but that won't worry me at all.

phoneyhuh said:
Have a look at AndrewQLD's Coopers Pale Ale recipe, add some Galaxy later in the boil if you want some flavour and aroma and forget about your kit recipes forever.
Yeah, checked out a few CPA clones on the DB (including AndrewQLD's) and have based my grain bill/bittering around those.

Thanks for the tips

By default Brewmate uses a Rager/Tinseth average to calculate IBU's, I use Tinseth method to calculate my IBU's because it's the most modern method and generally considered the most accurate for all-grain beers (apparently), and the numbers can change pretty dramatically between Rager and Tinseth methods.

The IBU for the can I just figured out using the method Coopers dictates. They say IBU listed on their site, multiply by weight of goo being used, divide by volume. So 340 IBU x 1.7 (kg) = 578, divide by 20 (litres) = 28.9 IBU.

If you're going to reduce IBU's, do it from the bittering charge, not the flavour/aroma charge. So drop the POR down to whatever so you can maintain the amount of Galaxy you want to use. Don't drop the Galaxy to make room for more POR.

Cheers slash, thanks for the tip, will do. I quite like what that amount of Galaxy brings to the kit recipe, so will keep it the same and adjust the POR accordingly.

Latest posts

Back