Converting extract easy Weizen to AG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
Hi All,

My second AG BIAB seems to be drinkable so now the time has come to replenish my stock of weizen, I've been using the following recipe which has been excellent but I'd like to try an AG version:

3Kg Cooper Wheat Malt Extract
40g Saaz
3068 yeast

Simple yet tasty :)

As the coopers wheat extract is 50/50 barley and wheat extract is doing an AG as easy as using 50/50 base ale malt and wheat malt?

Thanks

Zarniwoop

correct, 50/ 50 makes a great beer, treat your yeast well and walah awesome wheat beer!!

50-50 ale/wheat or pilsner/wheat will give you a great beer.

40g of Saaz seems like a lot to me though (depending on your hop schedule of course). What is it's AA content. Just did quick beersmith calculation and 20g at 60 minutes and 20 grams at 15 minutes (using 4% alpha acid saaz) puts you at 25 IBUs. That's a little high for a weizen IMHO.

3068 is a beast. Hope you've got some good headspace in your fermenter, the last one I made grew arms, climbed out and made one hell of a mess of my fridge. Bloody good beer though.

JD

It's definitely a good beer, using IanH's extract designer I was using 40g of Saaz at 3.2% at 60 minutes which was giving me 12.5IBU which seemed about right.

You're right about the 3068, I use a 30L fermenter with about 23L of beer in and I end up with at least 4" of krausen on top.

Latest posts

Back