Converting A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg

Reaction score
Hi,

I've managed to procure a 50 litre keg that I want to use to mash. However before I introduce my 4" grinder to it I'd like to get some advice as to the best cut'n'shut job to do to the keg.

Should I put a tap in the bottom?

I'm planning to heat via a two or three ring burner as found on some barbies, are there any considerations or modifications that I need to take into account.

Any help would be appreciated

Greg

Greg,

Firstly, make the hole in the top of the keg to suit a pot lid(20-30lt pot). This will aid to get a rolling boil quickly(saving gas).
Don't put the tap in the bottom/base of the keg, as the wort in the tap may caramellize, during the boil, and block it. Not to mention melting the nylon bushings in the tap valve.
Maybe you might want the pick up tube inside the keg to fit a false bottom(screen)or just have it run around the inside of the keg,away from the centre, so it does'nt pick up the trub(muck) from the middle of the keg after the boil.
And lastly, on the end of the tap,when you put an elbow on it , make sure the keg will still sit flat.

boiler.jpg

This is what I mean about the pick up tube inside the keg

boiler_top_view.jpg

Well, I chickened out of doing my keg conversion myself

cost me $65 to have the top cut out (leaving a rim for a lid as Linzie suggested) and a plug welded below into which a ball valve screwed on the outside of the kettle and an uptake tube on the inside

Well worth it, ss seems to be a bit of a bugger to work with

Jovial_Monk

PS anyone have a good source for 50L kegs? they seem to have disappeared in Adelaide

Many thanks for the information, I feel a lot happier attaking my keg now.

Ta

Greg

Back