Converting A Commercial Beer Keg For Biab?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously thinking about converting one i have used for other purposes before into another single vessel rig at the moment.

Hi My names Big Nath (Hi big Nath) and I'm a build-aholic, it's been 2 months since my last build :lol:

What would be the diameter of the keg......so I can look for a lid.....might look at these glass ones mentioned by Spog available at Kmart

Hi My names Big Nath (Hi big Nath) and I'm a build-aholic, it's been 2 months since my last build :lol:

Ain't that the truth Yob :lol:

I have way too much shit to make beer stuff out of and reconfigure already built systems.

MUST. RESIST. URGE. TO. TINKER.

What would be the diameter of the keg......so I can look for a lid.....might look at these glass ones mentioned by Spog available at Kmart

Bigger then you think. Hold on while I go measure mine.

................................................................................

About 14 inches. Or for you odd people that can not deal with real measurements, 36 cm.

I would look at the kegs first.

................................................................................

About 14 inches. Or for you odd people that can not deal with real measurements, 36 cm.

also depends on the make of the keg so don't take this measurement as gospel

Haha, mine's bigger than your's. Mine is just over 15 inches...

QldKev

out of interest are "powers" kegs still in use or would they be "legal" ?

and what about "tooths" ones (modern 50's not the old rounder ones)

out of interest are "powers" kegs still in use or would they be "legal" ?

and what about "tooths" ones (modern 50's not the old rounder ones)

i reckon that the powers kegs or any others would remain the property of who ever
bought the company/owns it as they also buy assets as well as the companyas a going concern.
the kegs have to be decommisioned (as in written off) before they are no longer the property of the company/owner.then sold to a scrap dealer etc..
years ago i contacted rheem australia enquiring about used kegs and was told that they (rheem) do not on sell used kegs as they are a pressure vessel and all used kegs are squashed/scrapped so no one then use them and claim back at rheem for any injuries etc..etc..

dunno if this helps but my 2 bobs worth. ....cheers.....spog....

Well, to tie off this story - I got shafted on the kegs.

I rung the guy, told him I'd buy them and agreed I would pick them up on the weekend, got his details etc. All sorted. Weekend was first opportunity I would have due to work commitments. No worries.

Next day he rings me up and tells me he's had heaps of calls with people offering him $50 for the kegs and would I buy them for $50. I said that I thought we had made a deal and it wasn't good business to then ask for more money. The conversation lasted for a few minutes with him becoming quite pushy. Cut a long story short, against all my moral and better judgement I said I'd take them for $40 - he gets a bit more and in fairness to our previous deal, he drops to $40. Still a good price for two kegs which is why I didn't just tell him to shove it for backing out on the agreed deal/price. He agrees and we hang up.

This morning he texts me and tells me he is sorry but he sold them to someone else for $70......

Yeah 'sorry' my a*se. Looks like I'll be hunting for my pot for a bit longer yet!

So were they 40 each or for the pair?

40 each is not bad here in the usa. 40 for the pair is stealing.

Make a simple gig to mount a grinder to, using the keg cap as your pivot and a couple of hose clamps.

Worked well for me but take your time for good results.

BTW Sell & Parker scrape metal merchants sometimes have an old keg or two

Cheers

JIG_1.JPG

HLT_2.JPG

Back