Converting 19 litres recipes to 23 litres

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhay

Reaction score
I've just received the 250 Clone Received from Home Brew Magazine from US.All the recipes are 19 litres and I want to covert to 23 litres .Should I just up the ingredients by 23/19?Or is there another method?
.All recipes I would attempt would be extracts with grain.

Good question. I'm particularly interested in the yeast - I would presume you pitch your 7g because a healthy yeast will multiply as necessary and then flocculate when done?

cremmerson said:
Good question. I'm particularly interested in the yeast - I would presume you pitch your 7g because a healthy yeast will multiply as necessary and then flocculate when done?
Nope, 23 litres should be closer to 11g (like the fermentis packs)
See mr malty for why

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

*edit*
Ermagerd, 666 posts...

If you download Brewmate (it's free), you should be able to enter all the ingredients and scale it up. One 11g pack of yeast is fine for 23L.

Edit: Spelling

wbosher said:
If you download Brewmate (it's free), you should be able to enter all the ingredients and scale it up. One 11g pack of yeast if fine for 23L.
As long as your OG is not too high. Otherwise you may need to pitch more than 1 packet.

+1 for Brewmate.

I would also recommend BrewMate. It has two modes. You can enter and lock ingredients and alter the brew volume to play with the figures or - as in your case - enter the recipe and when you alter the volume the ingredients will scale to fit.

23L is 1.2 times more than 19L. If you recipe says you need x amount of grain/extract/hops then multiply it by 1.2, easy as.

Or download brew mate/beersmith/promash

JD

Back