Conversion Of Lovibond(sp?) To Ebc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen

Reaction score
I often read recipes from the US etc. and many mention grain, crystal measured in Lovibonds or L.

How or what is the conversion factor to get the approximate same colur using EBC units?

The rest of the recipes measurements, ie. pounds, quarts, gallons etc are easy to convert over, just the colour rating is unknown.

Regards and thanks in advance

Steve

Stephen,

Lovibond = (EBC*0.375) + 0.46.

So, if you want EBC = (Lovibond-0.46)/0.375

Cheers.

For grain colour estimation, it is enough to say that EBC is roughly double that of Lovibond.
i.e. Crystal @ 60L is about 120 EBC.

Duff said:
Stephen,

Lovibond = (EBC*0.375) + 0.46.

So, if you want EBC = (Lovibond-0.46)/0.375
[post="101856"][/post]​
Duff - I'm with Brad on this one, I understand the EBC has changed their measurement method in that last few years which is why there are two formulas kicking around.

cheers

Thanks to all that have responded.

I realise that unless I'm getting into brewing real deep and trying to design the ultimate beer then a rough conversion of double and a fudge factor will suffice for this brewer.

At this point in time I have one AG under my belt so near enough will be good enough until I get my head around all the various factors that come into designing beer - and also knowing what effects these factors have on the final outcome.

Beer o'clock me thinks

TTFN

Steve

Steve,

I'm wondering why you didn't ask this at the lhbs.
Mark has a wonderful speech about the arbitrary colour systems, and which system is the right one to use.

Well worth an ask next time U visit.

Apologies to Mark if he's lurking, but my simple mind finds it amusing.

Seth out :p

Back