Conundrum in Mornington

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edak

BrauShnizzleMyNizzle
Reaction score
I have been brewing for quite a few years and recently over the last year I have found that I have not brewed almost anything at all. I put it down to one of these:
1. I have had no brew buddies for a long time now (due to us all relocating) thus it is getting less social by the day
2. I put priority on other tasks (too many other hobbies or too busy with work)
3. I drink less now than before

I think that if I solved issue 1 then I could be back in business! I used to be a valued contributor to the AHB forum, especially when it came to the development of my single vessel system. I want to bring back that spark.

If I don't continue with the hobby then I don't see a reason why I should keep my gear so my conundrum is this; do I look for more beer buddies who are cool to help out and brew, or do I sell all my gear and give it up?

I am well invested and this is my set up:

FB_IMG_1481755109974.jpg

FB_IMG_1481755113935.jpg

IMG_20150523_184611.jpg

What is a man to do???

1. Make a batch, on your own and see if there's still a spark.
2. Go around to someone else's place and brew on their system
3. Invite a noob around and teach them how to brew.

Do all of those and I reckon you'll know the way forward. Other alternative is just to pack it away, forget it and get into something else and see if the urge catches up with you again in a year or so.

Its seems a dam shame to dismantle a little brewery like that. I agree keeping it as is if its not necessary to clear it out.
Surely putting out the invite open to brewing experiments could get it active again.

I personally, thought you had joined the peace corps and were still protesting outside the UN. :huh:

Good to see you back. :D :D

There is some good stuff happening in the DIY 1v space, Brauduino soon to go wifi!!!!

Will be sending the Brd files off next week or so for fabrication of some prototypes then I'll test them to death.

There'll be a thread. ;)

I had the same issue recently, love brewing but just don't need to all that often.
Solution, buy some mini kegs and take it everywhere you go. I was surprised at:
a) how many people actually like the beer I brew
b) how many people will drink free been anyway
c) how much beer can disappear in an evening if you have 10 x people drinking it!
Got rid of a half 19L keg on the weekend for my daughters bday which means I get to brew again soon!

Just imagine, you get rid of your gear and top set up and 6 months/ a year later something arises that makes you severely regret what you have done.

As manticle has suggested make a brew, taste, enjoy. Do some things to really see if the "spark" has gone. Just don't give up so easily.

As with a lot of hobbies there is an ebb and flow element, I love fishing but it is not a 100% full on,maybe you have slowed down on the drink because you aren't brewing, keep your kit otherwise you will regret it, it doesn't take a lot to get the spark back.

The other thing is, when you first started out there were lots of "side" projects to build the brewery, you haven't changed much since I last saw photos of the brew house. There are always fun things to add.

Digital tap display with flow meters (looks cool and you know when that keg is going to blow)

Brewpi nothing like checking how the ferment is going from work... or anywhere!

and MastersBrewery now lives in Vic ... and yer aint had a beer with him.

If conscious about consumption try master the art of making good drinking light beers or mid strengths. I love the higher IPA's and things but every beer you drink cant be 6%+ etc. I'm now trying more lower strength beers.

Look for some brew buddies.

There hasn't been 1 bad bloke I have met through our local home brew club. It seems to be that the dickheads are put off by the fact that you have to do some work to make beer!

dont sell your gear. i had a similar thing where i sort of lost interest in brewing mainly through drinking less and putting in massive hours at work. i did only 3 batches in 12 months and just didnt have the drive to bother anymore. after another spending spree at a good bottlo and realising the beers i was spending good money on were no better than i could brew myself for so much less in the most parts so i decided bugger it i will just do a k+k brew to see if the spark was stiil there at all. next thing you know i remembered why i moved to ag in the first place and ordered grain for a couple of batches and that led to a renewed interest again that led to buying some more gear to refine my process and that led to more interest again wanting to get out the back to try the new gear out and see if it made better beer.

I sold nearly all my gear about 5 years ago then brought everything again. I'm glad my chest freezer never sold with the kegs etc.
I've never sat in on anyone else's brew day or have I ever met another grain brewer other than hbs owners.
I find new books and podcasts on the way to work help me keep the spark.
It can be/ has been hard sometimes with the repetitive cleaning and mundane tasks that are associated with brewing. But if your in the right mood it can be relaxing. The best thing about cutting back on the beers is it's less hours spent in the shed trying to keep production up with consumption. It becomes labour intensive chores instead of enjoyment. More time to focus on recipe formulation instead of keeping the kegs full.

Have you thought about joining a brewing club?

Given you are located BAYSIDE, I wonder if there are any fellow BREWERS that would be interested in you coming along to one of their CLUB meetings to have a chat n a beer together?

Might spark off the old enthusiasm...

I find application of high potency alcohol over an extended period of time, or alternately a couple of minutes of pop music, will clear that up right away.

I'm going through the same conundrum, I haven't brewed on my system since April last year. I finished off the last of my kegs a week or so ago. So now I have 10 empty kegs and just can't get motivated. Not sure what's happened as I do enjoy brewing, maybe a buddy would help. I was contemplating going to BOP to do 2 brews as that would at least get some beer back in the kegs which may then get the enthusiasm back.

Back