Controlled fermentation and bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbom

Reaction score
Hi fellow homebrewers,
First of all thank you all for the wealth of knowledge that comes out of these forum discussions, they are great.
I am a novice, just over a year into H/Brewing, trying to hone my brewing using Morgan's Wort Tins.
I have just progressed to controlled fermentation. I love lagers and I have a Blue Mountain Lager currently 12 days into primary fermentation at 12 deg C.
I have also added 50g of dry hops at day 12, I use a hop sock.
I intend to, leave ferment at 12 deg till fermentation stalls, then bring up to 20 deg C for 3 days for (diacetyl rest).
I will then bring temp down to 2 deg C for another 1 to 3 weeks for the lagering stage...?
Please feel free to advise of any tips or fine tuning to this process.

My main question here is about bottling... I normally transfer my fermented beer into a keg and let sit in my beer fridge while I finish my 2nd keg.
However I have a new job which has me away from home for 7 days every fortnight. So I intend to start transferring every 2nd brew into bottles.
Because my lagering stage is 2 deg C I assume once I bottle my 23 litre brew, drop in my carbonation drops and cap, I would have to store my bottles in a controlled temperature as I have done with the whole brewing process... can someone advise best temp to store my 750ml bottles for secondary ferment with my carbonation drops.???
My apologies for the speel to get to my main Question...
Here's Cheers.

Hi fellow homebrewers,
First of all thank you all for the wealth of knowledge that comes out of these forum discussions, they are great.
I am a novice, just over a year into H/Brewing, trying to hone my brewing using Morgan's Wort Tins.
I have just progressed to controlled fermentation. I love lagers and I have a Blue Mountain Lager currently 12 days into primary fermentation at 12 deg C.
I have also added 50g of dry hops at day 12, I use a hop sock.
I intend to, leave ferment at 12 deg till fermentation stalls, then bring up to 20 deg C for 3 days for (diacetyl rest).
I will then bring temp down to 2 deg C for another 1 to 3 weeks for the lagering stage...?
Please feel free to advise of any tips or fine tuning to this process.

My main question here is about bottling... I normally transfer my fermented beer into a keg and let sit in my beer fridge while I finish my 2nd keg.
However I have a new job which has me away from home for 7 days every fortnight. So I intend to start transferring every 2nd brew into bottles.
Because my lagering stage is 2 deg C I assume once I bottle my 23 litre brew, drop in my carbonation drops and cap, I would have to store my bottles in a controlled temperature as I have done with the whole brewing process... can someone advise best temp to store my 750ml bottles for secondary ferment with my carbonation drops.???
My apologies for the speel to get to my main Question...
Here's Cheers.
It's a procedure I've used in the past without problems. I'd recommend going several degrees above the recommended temperature range for that yeast in order to speed carbonation. You won't get off flavours, given the little fermentation that takes place. Ten days max, then drop to lagering temps.

Latest posts

Back