Control Panel Wiring Diagram

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Vrtigo, 15/4/18 at 1:06 AM.

1. Vrtigo

Posted 15/4/18 at 1:06 AM
    Hi All,

I've been researching / planning a control box build after being inspired by "The Electric Brewery" but with a few changes for a 2 vessel HERMS system.

The plan is to have 2 vessels (BK/HLT and MT) with elements in just the BK and heat being exchanged via a CFC. I plan to use 1 EZBoil timer (probe in BK), 1 Mash PID (probe in mash tun), 2 pumps for recirculation, a main element in the BK with a secondary element to be used for boosting to boil or when boiling is difficult (in the cold / wind etc).

While I feel fairly confident about the build I do not feel confident with the wiring. I have taken some time to draw a thorough wiring diagram but would love some feedback from anybody who has built something like this before or who has some degree of electronic experience.

Wiring Layout v4-3.jpg

2. TwoCrows

Posted 15/4/18 at 4:10 AM
    What is the supply amperage?

3. Vrtigo

Posted 15/4/18 at 4:19 AM
    I think currently 30A but should be able to increase to 40 if needed, can run element and pumps and dishwasher at the same time no problems but put the microwave on and it trips ^^

4. TwoCrows

Posted 15/4/18 at 4:21 AM
    This is my opinion, not looking for a fight!!!

I find that building this style of control is aimed at a commercial based setup. Large amp supply and health and safety.

I have a basic set up,all in a jiffy box. 240 Volt power@ 10 amps in, running a PID, on/ off switch and power out. Controls temps just as you need to convert grains to sugars. I use this in my 4 vessel set up.

The other control box has a STC 100 and 240V outlet as well as pump on / off control thru another 240V 10 amp switch.

This box can run a keezer , frigde and sample temps where needed. I use this to controll my HLT when running my Robobrew.
    I have the ability to run all that I need ( power wise) from multiple circuits. I can take it on the road and brew anywhere I like, And I do.;)

5. Vrtigo

Posted 16/4/18 at 2:43 AM
    So is your recommendation that it would be safer and/or simpler to build two control boxes instead of having it consolidated into one?

I don't think the amperage should be a problem - currently I brew running my main element, 1 pump and STC controller off one powerboard connected to one outlet. This setup would add in a the controller, another element and another pump in terms of extra amperage (with the extra element only being used to ramp).