Control Beer Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
I was looking at West Coast Brewers "Iron Brewer" thread and thought that it would be a good thing to start for a swap meet/comp

Basically those that enter will be given

1 A controlled amount of hops. Bitterness/Aroma/Flavour ratio is open
2 A base malt that a % must be used
3 Some limited amounts of specialty malts of which you can use any amount
4 Brewed as an ale, simply because not all of us can do lagers
5 A seperate class for man-cordial brewers

Anyone up for it...I think it would make for a good comp, with many takes on the same beer...

I was looking at West Coast Brewers "Iron Brewer" thread and thought that it would be a good thing to start for a swap meet/comp

Basically those that enter will be given

1 A controlled amount of hops. Bitterness/Aroma/Flavour ratio is open
2 A base malt that a % must be used
3 Some limited amounts of specialty malts of which you can use any amount
4 Brewed as an ale, simply because not all of us can do lagers
5 A seperate class for man-cordial brewers

Anyone up for it...I think it would make for a good comp, with many takes on the same beer...

I would be in that

I take it this is a comp, not a swap, so you only need supply 1 bottle, I'm interested. I won't be able to turn up, but should be able to pass on a bottle for judging.

cheers

Browndog

Ducatiboy stu is the suggestion to make this the swap criteria? or run in tandem with the swap
:unsure:
Maybe a pilsener fest for the Xmas swap??
It'd be interesting for sure (no-where to hide, them defects).

I'm in for sure!

Maybe we can make this a twice-yearly thing. Perhaps fill in the gaps between the Xmas Swap, and the July Swap. Not like any of use NEED another excuse for a mass piss-up..... ;) Pils or CAP gets the vote from me too!

Cheers

EDIT: Woot. 300 Massive, very well contributed posts....ahem....

Anyone who is keen enough to organize something like this should have all our support.

Guess I am saying count me in,and cheers for donating your time to this :party: :party:

Batz

The iron brewer version in the west was pretty successful. We did a group judging at the club last month, then we had a professional from a microbrewery also score the beers, results I think announced this month. An amazing range of beers, we only had a small amount of wheat, but someone actually did a really small batch and made it a wheat beer. Although, one piece of advice, maybe dont include rauch malt, it does tend to make them all taste the same.

The iron brewer version in the west was pretty successful. We did a group judging at the club last month, then we had a professional from a microbrewery also score the beers, results I think announced this month. An amazing range of beers, we only had a small amount of wheat, but someone actually did a really small batch and made it a wheat beer. Although, one piece of advice, maybe dont include rauch malt, it does tend to make them all taste the same.
Yes but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to ingredients either :p

This sounds like great fun - Bonj and I were talking about something along these lines a while ago, but never got off our buts to do anything more about it.

For me, the really appealing thing would be to see just *what* imparts *which* flavours on the final beer. I'd love to see it done with a defined base malt mix, with only mash profile, hops, yeast type and fermentation controlled by the brewer. It would also be really cool if we all had to brew in a two week window, to meet and taste/swap a certain time after - this would mean all the beers would be fairly comparable.

It'd also be really cool to have someone who really knows their stuff at the tasting - personally I would love to be able to better identify and describe the tastes my palate experiences.

I guess this is my long winded way of saying I'm interested!

M

Well as I started the thread I will be in..

I dont think it would really work as a swap...but it might..

If it where a true comp, then we would need an independant proper judge to find a winner..

The 1st prize could be a return to ticket for me to go over to Italy to the Ducati factory, then a tour of german breweries.... :icon_cheers:

If it where a true comp, then we would need an independant proper judge to find a winner..

The 1st prize could be a return to ticket for me to go over to Italy to the Ducati factory, then a tour of german breweries.... :icon_cheers:

You've got a lot of names. Now put the list of ingredients up. Keen to see what you select and listen to the whingers .. "can't I add some chocolate malt to that ...etc "
Then wait for everyone to say " not that day, I'm delousing the house ... etc"
Then wait for the WAs to say "haha .. call that a competition .... etc"

Good luck with it. :icon_cheers:

PM sent Stu, I reckon if we can get some of the BABBs boy in it, we might be able to twist PaulH's arm to judge.

cheers

Browndog

Back